What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cp Books

I thought it would be fun to see what books everyone owned. So post a list of all the Carnivorous Plant books you have.  Here is mine:

Carnivorous Plants of the United States and Canada
Donald E. Schnell  ISBN: 0881925403

Gardening with Carnivores
Nick Romanowski  ISBN: 0813025095

Insect-Eating Plants and How to Grow Them
Adrian Slack  ISBN: 0295966378

Nepenthes of Borneo
Charles Clarke  ISBN: 9838120154

The Carnivorous Plants
Francis Ernest Lloyd  ISBN: 0486233219

The Savage Garden
Peter D'Amato  ISBN: 0989159156

Here are the ones that I actually own.

Donald E. Schnell ISBN: 0881925403

The Savage Garden
Peter D'Amato ISBN: 0989159156

Carnivorous Plants
Adrian Slack ISBN: 0 589 50142 9

I own:

The Savage Garden (Peter D'Amato)

Carnivorous Plants (Adrian Slack)

Carnivorous Plants of Australia Vol. 3 (Allen Lowrie)

Carnivorous Plants (Marcel Lecoufle) - I've never seen this one again after I bought it a local reptile shop a long, long time ago. Anyone ever read this book? It has some great information but it can be a bit inaccurate at times.

Killer Plants (Mycol Doyle) - My first CP book ever! My dad got it for me at a book fair when I was in third grade
smile.gif

I have:

both Slack books

SG

the first Schnell book

both Cheers books

some book that was BHS I think

Lecoufle's book (which I will argue is the worst piece of dung out there. Sorry Leopard but there is nothing "great" about it)

And lastly (I think) Taylor's monograph

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Lecoufle's book (which I will argue is the worst piece of dung out there. Sorry Leopard but there is nothing "great" about it)

Interesting. Why do you say that? I've always thought it was a pretty good book (maybe not great - I'll change my wording on that!), but maybe that's because I kinda grew up reading it before I knew much about CPs.

Carnivorous Plants by Adrian Slack
ISBN: 0 262 96089 6

CPs of the United States and Canada by Schnell
ISBN: 0 88192 540 3

Gardening with Carnivores by Nick Romanowski
ISBN: 0 8130 2509 5

The Savage Garden by Peter D'amato

Fleischfressende Pflantzen by Thomas Carow
ISBN3440101762

Yay! No one else has a German one.
laugh.gif

I have,

1. Savage garden, Peter D'amato
2. Carnivorous plants of the world, James and Patricia Pietropaolo
3. Carnivorous plants, Adrian Slack
4. Insect eating plants and how to grow them, Adrian Slack
5. Carnivorous plants, Tony Camilleri
6. Carnivorous plants of the United States and Canada, Donald Schnell
7. The Carnivorous Plants, Francis Earnest Lloyd
8. Cultivating Carnivorous plants, Allan A. Swenson
9. The Wisley handbook of Carnivorous plants
10. Gardening with carnivores, Nick Romanowski
11. Insectivorous plants, Charles Darwin
12. the carnivorous plants of Australia volume 3, Allen Lowrie
13. Carniflora- Gert Hoogenstrijd
14 Carnivorous Plants of New Zealand, Bruce Salmon
15 Carnivorous plants, Gordon Cheers

Still a few more needed to complete the collection though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Feb. 27 2006,3:55)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Lecoufle's book (which I will argue is the worst piece of dung out there. Sorry Leopard but there is nothing "great" about it)

Interesting. Why do you say that? I've always thought it was a pretty good book (maybe not great - I'll change my wording on that!), but maybe that's because I kinda grew up reading it before I knew much about CPs.
I think it has something to do with poaching?

I only have:

1. Savage garden, Peter D'amato
2. Carnivorous plants of the world, James and Patricia Pietropaolo

But I would love to have all the Allan Lowrie & Adian Slack books and the Utric one by Taylor.

I only own Peter D'amato's and Donald Schnell's book.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (PiranhaPlant @ Feb. 27 2006,3:32)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Feb. 27 2006,3:55)]
[b said:

I think it has something to do with poaching?
I think the poaching people were another book. I think that one is "Carnivorous Plants of the World".

I have:

Donald E. Schnell ISBN: 0881925403

The Savage Garden
Peter D'Amato ISBN: 0989159156

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Feb. 27 2006,3:55)]Interesting. Why do you say that? I've always thought it was a pretty good book (maybe not great - I'll change my wording on that!), but maybe that's because I kinda grew up reading it before I knew much about CPs.
It is a fountain of mis-information. Cultivation techniques that make me cringe (and that is saying a lot considering the rough time I give my plants), flawed descriptions, seriously mis-ID'd photos... I bought the book way back when I first got into CPs thinking the more books I had the better. I wish I'd known better. It basically contradicted everything said by Slack (who was the most authoritative at the time.)

Right now I only have Schnell's book.  I used to own The Savage Garden--about five or six times.  I kept giving it away when I gave plants to newbies and got tired of buying it.  It's a great book though.

Currently I only have 2 books but I would really like to get Adrian Slack's book and Charles Darwin's book.

These are the 2 I currently own:

By Donald E. Schnell

The Savage Garden
By Peter D'Amato

I have to agree with Pyro on Lecoufle's book. I have read it twice, that was more than enough.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Pyro @ Feb. 28 2006,4:47)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (LLeopardGGecko @ Feb. 27 2006,3:55)]Interesting. Why do you say that? I've always thought it was a pretty good book (maybe not great - I'll change my wording on that!), but maybe that's because I kinda grew up reading it before I knew much about CPs.
It is a fountain of mis-information. Cultivation techniques that make me cringe (and that is saying a lot considering the rough time I give my plants), flawed descriptions, seriously mis-ID'd photos... I bought the book way back when I first got into CPs thinking the more books I had the better. I wish I'd known better. It basically contradicted everything said by Slack (who was the most authoritative at the time.)
I agree with what you say. Like you, I got it when I first was getting into CPs and I didn't really know enough to question what was said in his book. When I read it now, it's crazy how much is wrong in there
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I still like it a lot though, probably for sentimental reasons
smile.gif
smile_n_32.gif

I own:

The Savage Garden
by Peter D'Amato

Nepenthes of Borneo
by Charles Clarke

Nepenthes of Sumatra and Peninsular Malaysia
by Charles Clarke

A Guide to the Pitcher Plants of Sabah
by Charles Clarke

I have:

The Savage Garden by Peter D'Amato

Carnivorous Plants by Tony Camilleri

Carnivorous Plants of the United States and Canada,Second Edition by Donald Schnell

Jerry

Back