What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New CP Book

JBL

Hi All TF members!

Dr. Barry A. Rice, known to many of you, has a new CP book available. Amazon is taking early orders, so if you want a good book on cultivation, order now to ensure publication. He's not sure that they will publish this, but it is a new book on cultivation of all genera with 400 photographs! Barry gave me permission to post this here. It was posted on the CP listserve today. Take a look at this! I've copied his posting:

Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 10:17:13 -0800
Subject: [CP] My new book on carnivorous plants!
To: <Cp@omnisterra.com>
Message-ID: <01bf01c63e25$87c42a90$7b1beda9@plantsciences.ucdavis.edu>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Hey Folks,

Well, Bob Ziemer just pointed out that if you search Amazon.com for my name,
you'll see an entry for a new book I've written on carnivorous plants.

Interesting.

Here is the background on this. I've indeed signed a contract with apublisher, and have handed in the final text and set of about 400 photos to the publisher. Writing this book has been an excellent impetus for my refreshing my memory on certain aspects of carnivorous plants that I've forgotten about, or never bothered to learn! I had every chapter reviewed by
experts, so I don't think it would contain egregious errors.

In any event, last I heard the entire book may have been cancelled (alas, the uncertainties of the publishing industry), but perhaps not. If the book DOES get published, I humbly think it would be a useful addition to the CPlibrary. (I wrote it to be something that *I* would find useful, in the
hopes that others would, too.)

So, that's that. If you'd like to learn more, here's a web page I wrote to support the book:

http://www.sarracenia.com/cp.html

Cheers

Barry

Barry A. Rice, Ph.D.
Carnivorous Plant Newsletter, Coeditor
The International Carnivorous Plant Society
http://www.carnivorousplants.org <http://www.carnivorousplants.org/>

Hey JBL, you beat me to it.
smile_n_32.gif

I thought about posting something similar after reading it in the listserve, also. I'm hoping that there is enough "demand" that they publish his book. It would definitly find a place on my shelf.

Umm...if its not yet published...and you pre-order (which I'd like to do)...do you pay for it now or when its published? Suppose you pay now and it never gets published?

I sure hope it does...it sounds like a GREAT book.
smile.gif
Way to go Barry!

Hey Folks,

Thanks. I'll keep you updated on the progress of this. Last I heard, whether the book gets published depends rather strongly upon interest from Timber Press.

It's been an interesting process, writing this thing. I was suprised at how easy it was to write a book, although I must admit I'm pretty familiar with the subject matter!

Cheers

Barry

that book sounds great!
smile.gif

I would definately buy it!!

I just tried out the pre-order on amazon.com,
to see if I can find out if we are charged when we place the order, or charged when the book ships..

first I tried help..I found:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Not yet published or released: The latest release date information that we have for the item will be on its product information page. If you want to pre-order the item, we will ship it to you once the release date passes and the item is made available to us for shipment. Please note: these items can delay the shipment of other items in the order if you select the option to "Group my order into as few shipments as possible."

not helpful.

so then I went through the motions of actually pre-ordering the book, to see if it would say something about it before I got to the end..
it didnt..
smile_h_32.gif

I got to the last page, where I can click the final button for "place your order"..
nothing about when we are charged..
I didnt place the order.

it also said on that last page:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Estimated ship date for this item: April 6, 2006 - April 20, 2006

Scot

I haven't tried ordering this book from amazon, but I did try to order a camera before christmas. They do take your bank details when you order but they don't take the money until the product you order is shipped. as it was they let me down for my camera, delaying the delivery until mid february, so I cancelled and bought it in the shops.

I was wondering how that worked. I'd love a book. I wonder if a letter writing campaign to Timber Press would help.
laugh.gif

When I first went on the site, it was $39.95 with no discount. It now has a preorder price of just over $25 with free shipping.

Amazon now lists the publishing date as September 15, 2006. Sounds like the April shipping date is out of the question now.

Went ahead and pre-ordered my copy
cool.gif

If I'm lucky, they'll only print 100 copies. I'll buy them all, sign them, and then sell them on EBay. At the prices I've seen out of print copies of Lowrie's books or others go for, I'll make a very shiny penny out of it!

smile.gif

Cheers

Barry

lol Now wait a minute!! Some of us po' folk want a book too!
smile_n_32.gif

Soooo...if I pre-order, I don't have to pay now? I'm not exactly rollin' in the dough at the moment. I need to file my tax return...

Barry, would you make more money if we bought the book directly from you once it is published? I prefer to let the man who does all the hard work and research make the profit rather than the middle man ie amazon.

Hey Barry,

To follow that model you'll have to sell
100 vol 1 100 vol 2 and what seems like 50,000 vol 3

Got mine book pre-ordered. Hope it makes it to the presses
Too bad you can't get some ready for ICPS meeting in June?
Nice captive market there...

Kirk
Fitchburg, Mass..

[b said:
Quote[/b] (indymental @ Mar. 09 2006,5:24)]Barry, would you make more money if we bought the book directly from you once it is published? I prefer to let the man who does all the hard work and research make the profit rather than the middle man ie amazon.
Well, I actually wrote the book on a flat fee basis, and not royalties. So if it sells one copy or 1,000,000, I get the same.

Thanks for the consideration, though!

Barry

Thanks for the reply Barry, I will pre order from Amazon then
smile.gif

edit-The shipping has now changed to 5th-7th October!!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Can we wait that long???

I just pre-ordered it!
smile.gif

Dang, I wish the release date wasn't so far off
smile_h_32.gif

To add to the confusion, the email I got from Amazon acknowledging my order said it would ship mid-April. Guess I'll expect it in October so I can be suprised in April
smile_n_32.gif
!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ Mar. 13 2006,5:33)]To add to the confusion, the email I got from Amazon acknowledging my order said it would ship mid-April.  Guess I'll expect it in October so I can be suprised in April
smile_n_32.gif
!
Same here! I wonder what the actual release date will end up being...Hopefully sooner rather than later!

I pre-ordered, too.  I don't think they charge until the product ships...I've had Swink & Wilhelms "Plants of the Chicago Region" on order for 2 years. Haven't been charged for it.

Back