Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched “Grizzly Man” for the second time last night. It is a fascinating documentary and the photography is supberb. I was just wondering if any of you have an opinion about Timothy Treadwell and his possibly misguided and fatal interaction with the bears. Did he have a death wish? There are a lot of bad ways to die but his was particularly brutal.

I just saw a TV clip about a guy who is trying to basically do the same thing with great whites. If he does this long enough, it is just a matter of time before he ends up in the belly of the beast.

I have been in harms way a number of times in my life but I never did it on purpose. My idea of danger nowadays is fishing in the surf and bopping little two and three foot spinner sharks on the snout with my rod tip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not meaning to sound callous, but Timothy Treadwell got exactly what he should have expected. It's just another example of a soap-box conservationists attempt to 'save' the wild world from harm. Funny...the bears didn't really seem to be in too much danger but he decided they needed his help anyways so he paid the ultimate price. We pretty much know the lifestyles of these dangerous creatures; bears, sharks, big cats, etc....but these folks need the addreneline rush to justify our need to know how they take a dump.

It's a pity it had to turn out this way. Wild animals are best protected when people don't mess with them. Why test their aggression levels when you already know what they are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a wild animal is a wild animal, what happened to him was probably a surprise to no one but himself.

the bears he was trying to "save" were in almost zero danger. grizzlys in that area really arent poached. in fact poaching black bears is MUCH more common than with griz. remember gizzlys werent killed off in the lower 48 for their gall bladders(about the only reason to poach a bear, grizzlys can be hunted easy enough in Alaska, Canada and Russia), they were killed off cause they were feared to kill livestock and people, which they did and are doing now on a limited basis.

remember griz are ONLY considered endangered in the lower 48(though i think MT will try to delist them in the next 5 years, atleast around Yellowstone). they have quite healthy populations in Canada and Alaska.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw it a few weeks ago. This guy was a little off, but months alone will do that to you. It's a shame that he and his girlfriend was killed, but you know the saying "If you play with fire you'll get burned".

I admire that he did what he felt was right and darn the consequences to himself. What I didn't like about him was that he seemed to love the glory of what he was doing.

One day I'll be in his shoes, except it will be the swamp or a snake instead of a bear. LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw it. I wish he had put his considerable energies and heart into saving some of these, instead: http://www.endangeredspecie.com/states/ak.htm

But I guess the short tailed albatross is not as "sexy" as the brown bear. The upside is that a short tailed albatross is not going to eat you.

I feel bad about what happened to him and his girlfriend. He loved his bears, yet caused the deaths of two of them. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grizzly Man. More like Grisly Man and Grisly Girlfriend after putting their lives at risk. Stupid and unnecessary. Best observations are made from a safe distance. I have hunted Grizzly in my younger days in Montana. They are incredibly smart, and VERY bad tempered when angered. I learned distance is the very best thing for something as dangerous as that. SHARKS, LAUDERDALE????? Another idiot!!!!
    Hmmmmmm. The idiot fad. Might catch on.

45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't seen the show, so he could be a total fraud for all I know, but life should be measured by quality, not quantity. If someone is living the life they want, I say so what if it gets cut short. Growing old at the expense of living is like making a million dollars and never spending a dime.

If he was doing what he truly felt he had to do, more power to him. That's worth ten lives in a nursing home.

As for the girlfriend, I have no idea. Was she just as driven?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw it..
    the guy was a moron.
    He should have never been there.
    an innocent bear died because of him..exactly what he was trying to prevent.
    An idiot of epic proportions.. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]
    one for the ages...

Scot

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast