Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which plants?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are nice pictures! I like the pigmy sundew a lot.

Some more guidance: I think small is cute, that's why I want small plants. That, and I'm in a student apartment, so there really isn't a lot of room for them. Also, I'm not a huge fan of spindly looking plants. I want them to fill out a bit if that's possible (the pigmy pic is a perfect example, so is the aliciae). And if they look sinister/evil/dangerous despite their small size than that's a plus.

Thank you for all of the suggestions so far! I'll definitely check them out. And thank you for the welcome [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the compliments!

Anmbia, does your apartment have any south or east facing windows? If so, you can easily do as I have done and produce the same results. Here is one more picture illustrating what I mean:

As you can see, I make do with old pipette dispenser containers and eat a lot of yogurt!

May I ask what your major is and what classes you are taking? Don't eat too many Ramen Noodles!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have a southeast window, but its in the living room, and I don't think my housemates will appreciate it if I turn it into a bog garden. The window in my room is more northwest [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]

I'm in joint honours computer science and statistics, so I'm taking a lot of math right now, but I also have 2 cognitive science electives that I really like.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have the wherewithal to emplace arificial lighting over the NW window sill, that would be a good solution.

Hey, check out my signature! I make reference Math being our friend. I just love Statistics! (or sadistics, as many have referred to it) I like it so much that one year I used (some long forgotten distribution - chi squared?) to determine how well my football predictions were for a given season. It was that one with observed minus the expected (squared?)/1-minus alpha over 2, or something to that effect and degrees of freedom. Did that make any sense at all?

Did you know that factorials, perfect squares (cubes,...) and simple intergrals correlate? (You'd be surprised how few people know or find that interesting! Most people have this Eey-or approach to Math: "Not that anybody really cares". [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can certainly empathise with your apprehension about converting a living room window into a bog garden. My wife isn't terribly enamoured with my plants on the kitchen window sill. I learned to ask nicely and only put the best of the best, one with a flower on there.

To put pot size and space into perspective, I am posting a picture taken from one of the sills I used at the lab in which I worked. Notice that there are yogurt cups being used, as well as Gladware. I plant pot and container of water need only take up 4 square inches of space. Would it be possible to fly that by them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you posted the same picture twice :P

I don't think I'll be able to put any plants in the window because:
    1) it faces the street and so we always keep the curtians closed
    2) it has a couch in front of it
    3) there is a heater behind the couch, less than a foot under the window sill

The window gets a fabulous ammount of light, I just think the plants would roast back there. And I wouldn't be able to enjoy them because they would be behind the curtian, behind the couch.

I was thinking that a good solution would be to get a box of some sort (preferably clear), line it with tinfoil (or the outside if its clear) and shine a desk lamp on it. Or something like that. I could even mount a smallish fluorescent light onto one of my bookshelves... I don't want to sink too much money into this though because I've never had anything harder than a guppy to take care of, and so I'm probably going to kill them. The guppies died too, but it wasn't my fault. My house caught fire and the tank was destroyed. I don't really feel like getting more fish, and these plants seem fairly interesting so I thought I'd try them out.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bad... here's a different picture:

I like your ideas - simple, money-saving, effective! Go fer it! I also quite understand working with what you have available to you and other limitations. I have also found this hobby, once you discover the Trading Post, to be quite economical. Once I tapped out the garden centres, I found the forum folks to be very generous (seeds, gemmae, cuttings, young plants) and it cost almost nothing.

You had guppies? I love fancy guppies - Metallic Blues, Delta types, snakeskin types,..... Sorry to hear of the accident and their demise. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better late than never! Welcome to the forums Anmbia. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Looks like people took care of your question. You'll have to let us know what you end up getting. I'm a drosera fan myself.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast