Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: I got a questions for the cops here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (wolf9striker @ Mar. 08 2006,10:31)]If I use this same way of thinking then everyone I come into contact with I must assume is a murderer, rapist, thief & wife beater.
    The problem is, just as civilians often equate all cops with the bad experience they had, many police also seem to come to believe that EVERYBODY is the same as the human garbage they have to deal with, day in and out, but they just haven't been caught yet.

I can't say i blame them. But it certainly does happen.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Lauderdale @ Mar. 09 2006,12:24)]The perfect way to handle yourself when being stopped for a traffic violation.

Good evening officer.
    No, I didn't realize I was going that fast.
    No, I haven't been drinking.
    Thank you officer.
    I'll watch my speed more closely from now on.
    Can I pay this ticket by mail?
    Have a nice day.
    I would add:

Keep both hands on the steering wheel, or otherwise in plain view.
    Make no sudden movements.
    If you are reaching for the glove box to get your insurance info, tell the officer what you are doing, and then do it.

If you have a gun in your glove box, keep your hands on the wheel, inform the officer that you have a gun in the glove box, and ask him how he'd like you to proceed.

Do nothing to make yourself remarkable in his memory, in case you wish to fight the ticket.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scott, That is more good advice. Especially if you have a a firearm in the vehicle.

Hey Wolf, I was riding with a friend that got pulled over and the first thing he did was notify the officer that Captain so and so was his best friend.
    The officer informed him that Captain so and so was HIS worst enemy.
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I have people all the time that tell me they are best friends with my Chiefs son, in which I just tell them 'Good, you will have someone to bail you out then' People will try anything, except for being polite.
    You don't need an iron chest if you have a sharp brain and a silk tongue.

GROWLIST
    Wolf's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would never, ever be rude to a cop. It doesn't do any good. And most of the time, if you talk to them like a fellow human being, nothing bad will happen, you'll get a ticket or you won't, you'll get arrested or you won't. You will probably live to see your day in court.

The Christmas before last, I got stopped by a Skokie cop for an expired tag on my plate. The tag had expired in May. He had me dead to rights. My fault totally, I was in violation of the law.

I don't look at the back of my car..and I didn't get a renewal form, so I just forgot all about it.

So, this officer starts asking me questions, politely, and I start answering them, politely, using "sir" and "officer" I told him that DH was unemployed(the truth)and that I didn't make much money(the truth), and it was all I could do to afford gasoline and insurance for my car(the truth).

He said Merry Christmas and let me go. It certainly was not because I'm good looking, because I'm not at all. I think it was because I treated him like a human being that he is, was polite, and told the truth. Or maybe he was just in a good mood that day.

Plus, he had a gun. I certainly wasn't going to get up in his grille.

I lived in Chicago for a long enough time to see some bad police officers do some very bad things.... I have photos. Telephoto lenses are wonderful investigative tools.

Cops have a hard job, I don't feel the need to make their job harder. Or my penalties stiffer

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to think the same way as many people have expressed when I was younger, all cops were pigs, that thankfully was before I grew up. Imagine for one minute how things would be, if there were no police [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]

It doesn't bear thinking about, we would not even be able to walk down the street safely. They do a good job and are unfairly treated for their trouble. Yes there are good cops and bad cops, no different to any other job, but if they suddenly weren't there any more, would life be better? I don't think so. I for one thank the police for making this a safer world to be a part of.

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want anybody to think I don't have respect for cops. Most of my family are or have been cop.

One thing most people forget, cops are just normal people like everybody else. I have respect for anybody that put their lives on the line everyday. Since they are normal people they make mistakes like we all do.

I do have a few problems with the legal system though. Unless you have a lawyer, you're not really innocent until proven guilty. It seems now that the legal system is just setup by the town to provide income for the town. I know laws differ from state to state, but in ohio every town has it own courthouse. They are a big income maker for the towns. I believe that's wrong.

Anyway this case gets weirder. I am scheduled for arraignment on Wednesday the 22nd. I called the prosecutor on Tuesday to see if I can make arrangements to plea without having to travel all the way to ohio. She couldn't find any record of my case. So I went online to see if I could find it myself. I found nothing. I called the courthouse yesterday and I talked to a very nice woman. I explained to her about me not being able to find the case. She looked for it while I was on the phone with her. She couldn't find anything. She told me that she would contact the police station to see where the case is. She said when she found it, she would go ahead and enter it into the system and I can download a form from their website to fax a plea in. She said that if I didn't see it on there that night for me to call back today. It wasn't there last night so I call back today. I didn't get the same person. This time I got a woman that was not so nice. She couldn't understand the reason for my call, no matter how many times I explained it to her. She also told me that I couldn't fax my plea because of the obstruction charge. My case still has not been filed in the court, two business days before the court date.
    Here's the link to the courts cases on March 22nd.

Oberlin Court

As you can see I'm not there.

So now I have two options. 1) go to ohio and enter a plea. 2) See if I can find a lawyer with just two day's notice.

Option 1 I will have to take 3 days off work and see if I can get an airline flight. I don't think I can afford to pay the price they would charge if I buy a ticket at last minute.
    Option 2 same as option one except I'll be paying a lawyer instead of the airlines.

Now what if this case never shows up? Somebody makes a mistake, I end up spending my money and they'll just tell me sorry you'll have to come back on another day.

This has been so confusing and weird from the beginning.
    The thought has enter my mind that the cop had second thoughts about charging me with a charge he knows I didn't commit. What do you think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm thinking that if you can keep this going for two more weeks, it'll be April 1.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast