What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water purifiers

Ebay has pleanty for 1/3 or more off common prices...

But i was wondering if a water filter like PUR or Somthing along those lines would work ok? Does any one know the PPM in one of those?

Cheers

The general response to this question is: No.

I've never done any testing or anything, and it wouldn't hurt to do a search on the forums to see if anyone has. You could even check the manufacturer's site to check for TDS levels. Though, I believe that you may still need to let the water site for a while to let the chlorine diffuse out. Hope you find some good info; be sure to share your findings.
smile.gif

Most of those types of filters are just for for filtering contaminants like rust and some chemicals out of the tap water. Most of them tell you what they filter out on the lable somewhere. They are just carbon cartridges usually, though I have seen some that have a mineral stage (3 stage Pur filters) to them to add minerals back into the water for flavor inhancment. They don't purify water enough for most CPs. You need an RO system for that.

They say what... and im looking for something that says what its PPM is (parts per million) the CP E-book out by Cobraplants says it should be below 100... and I will probably stick with a R/O or R/I system....
Thanks &
Cheers

I'm using Brita Maxtra filters (apparently "4-stage") and have been doing so for the past 2 years, until I get my first useable gallon of RO water from my new unit today.
So far, no ill effects on the plants themselves.

Cheers
Amori

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes_ak @ Mar. 07 2006,4:37)]They say what... and im looking for something that says what its PPM is (parts per million) the CP E-book out by Cobraplants says it should be below 100... and I will probably stick with a R/O or R/I system....
Thanks &
Cheers
You're unlikely to find anything that says PPM on these units (faucet filters). They only filter out the big stuff. Mine filters out sediments and "99.99% of the microbial cysts Cryptosporidium and Giardia" and "reduces lead, asbestos and mercury." The carbon filter will also reduce the chlorine. If you want something to remove 99.99% of the disolved solids then you need to be looking at an RO system or something similar.

I really dont know much about water systems this would be why i am asking Thanks I will be googling until some one can help me out... Would an Aqarium R/O system work? I would figure so be cause it has R/O And R/I both in it. But i would rather not pay for the R/I stuff.

Thanks again
Cheers

DI .. deionizing

RO Reverse osmosis

You are correct that many of the aquarium units have a DI cartridge also. Overkill for making water suitable for carnivorous plants.
I would search for a 3stage TFC membrane RO system. What you are looking for is a Sediment prefilter, Carbon block prefilter and the TFC RO unit (tfc = thin film composite). You don't need any carbon post filters or DI post filters. A good TFC RO membrane will remove 95% of whatever minerals in your water and should give you water around the 5-10ppm range easily. Some cheaper units will be 2stage. They combine the Sediment prefilter and Carbon prefilter into a single cartridge. Personally I would avoid them. UNLESS you have very clean tapwater and can simply just replace the cheap combo filter with a good carbon block prefilter. If your tap water is clean it won't get clogged. But it will give you much more more protection than the cheap combo filter the 2stage units use. The carbon fyi is there to remove chlorines.. you NEED a good carbon block filter if you use tap water treated with chlorine or one of the newer chlorine compounds.. they will quickly destroy the RO membrane if they get to it.

On a side note.. consider at least a 50gal/day unit at least. Even though that sounds like alot. Most RO units will not give you what they say because of pressure and temperature differences in your personal situation. The price difference between a smaller 10-20g/day and a 50g+ should be very minimal anyway.

Tony

Brita is not much different than PUR. They both just filter out the big stuff and let a lot of the disolved minerals pass through. Snow, depending on where you live, is usually pretty clean and can be used like rain water.

Ahhh to many ways to choose. Ive been told by a reputable source (you might have seen his pictures of his CP's on the CP E-book by the guys at cobraplants.com ) he uses this
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/aquamallusa/watminrevoss.html
its little.. he says it works Great! and it filters pleanty of water... im only worried about the 1 gallon every 3 hr's.... kinda sucks. Hes dont lots of nifty things so, hes preaty knowladgeable to me so.

If not ill keep my eye out for a water purifire
What about the ones they sell at california carnivores?

Cheers and THANKS for all the info!

Nothing really wrong with a small RO system like that.  It would do the trick yes.  

My thoughts however.  Stick with one that takes standard replacement filters.  Some of the mini ones use those throwaway canister filters that are designed for fridge icemakers etc.  You can't simply change the filter.. you have to buy the whole thing since they don't come apart.  You are also limited to a specific filter.  You can't order a standard 2.5" x 10" filter cartridge for a standard housing.  I also think that if your going to spend 90 bucks.. spend another 50 and get a unit that will produce water much faster and accept standard size filters and ro membranes.  That way you will have a unit that will last years and years.  Like I mentioned earlier, the ratings on the units are done with much higher water pressure and water that is room temperature.  When was the last time your water coming out of the tap was room temperature and at 100psi?  In real world situations don't be surprised if your water output is HALF what the unit is rated at because of the lower pressure and colder water found in most peoples home.

What you should be looking for is something like this kent marine 3 stage ro with standard filter housings

The two vertical filter housings are the prefilters.  They will take a standard 2.5 x 10" filter regardless of manufacturer.  The horizontal white unit on top is the RO membrane housing.  It will fit a standard 2" x 12" ro membrane regardless of manufacturer.

Tony

Thanks again for all youre help I havent tested it, but i used to use it on my other plants, but i dont any more i saw water stains on them.

Cheers

Back