What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Prospective newb with a lot of questions

Hello all,

I am interested in getting a VFT and maybee some other accompanying plants in a small (10-20gal) viva/ter/aquarium. I have been keeping 2 nano coral reefs for the past year and a half so most of my knowledge of lighing comes from that area of glass boxes. Plus I am constantly running RO water.

My questions are bassically:

What's a pretty looking easy care level VFT to start with?
Is 24w 6500K daylight enough light?
How deep of substrate? Peat moss and play sand, correct?
what are some compatable plants to investigate?

just some pointers, really, is what im looking for

No need for a VFT in a terrium, they are Temperate to the USA (between North Carolina and south carolina coast regions) But people can grow them all over the states. Terriums are for tropical plants. Most people think that VFT's are tropical plants. Now you know. Unless you have reason for growing them in a Terrium. Just use a Small Fish Tank.

Cheers

Hi and welcome to TerraForums! As iterated above, VFT's do best when outside. Same with American pitcher plants. Most, if not anything else does well on window sills / hanging baskets.

Hey, I'd love to talk salt with ya! What fish and/or inverts have you been keeping?

okay, so I wont need a lid, but say I was going to plant some in a 10 gal. its the above setup a good starting point?

depth of substrate and amount of water is really what im wondering bout now? an compatable plants? preferably ones that dont go dormant.

can anyone link up aome pics on this site of people growing in aquariums/glass boxes, as opposed to pots.

My main 2 reasons for the tank is a) my cat and b) I can put it under my geckos on the bottom of a wrought iron stand. hang the lights from below the gecks or whatever.

Speaking of geckos, cats, and 10 gallon tanks, my buddy Elgecko has all of those and is an excellent source for guidance! He has one tank that is a essentially an "open tray", with a bunch of CP pots. He has another tank that is set up as a terrarium, with artificial lighting and Cephalotus follicularis and a sundew I can't bring to mind.

after all the stuff ive read today, im def gonna try a VFT to get my feet wet. Its just I really want to do artifical lighting. What can I say, I like to waste electricity.

Where would you suggest getting my hands on a first specimin or two?

Not to throw a wrench into the works, but VFT's do best when placed outside. They are commonly sold at garden centers, like Home Depot, Lowes, and Walmart. Also, forum members may be offering them.

yeah, im getting that impression. More wrnces sooner means less headaches later, im sure. Not a big deal. I have a couple of ledges where they can be placed outside undisturbed for starters.

However, anyone who can provide me with some good indoor lighting pointers regarding wattage and K-temp, much appreciated.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]However, anyone who can provide me with some good indoor lighting pointers regarding wattage and K-temp, much appreciated.

You are likely to get a different answer from everyone that answers.

Color wise, I personally use a mix of 3200k and 6500k.

Wattage wise, I think I'll leave that for some of the growers that use Compact floueresent (Don't worry I know I can't spell). I grow under 4 foot tubes, so unless you can finger out how to fit them in yer 10g tank, the wattage I use won't really help.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Mar. 09 2006,5:08)]Not to throw a wrench into the works, but VFT's do best when placed outside. They are commonly sold at garden centers, like Home Depot, Lowes, and Walmart. Also, forum members may be offering them.
Some of the best VFT's can be bought here at Petflytrap
smile_m_32.gif

As Dyflam so kindly pointed out, you can get great starter plants from Exotic Gardens, sponsors of this site.  VFTs are great plants.  You CAN put them in a terrarium but its not necessary to grow them and as many have pointed out, they do best outside as nature intended.  Tropical sundews will do well in a terrarium...pinguicula too (they stay small and won't grow out of a tank).  Just make sure you don't mix temperate plants with tropicals or you will have dormancy headaches.  Neps do well in tanks until they outgrow them.

Substrate would be as deep as a pot if you were growing them potted.  In fact, some people keep their plants in pots, but sink the pots in substrate so that the plants can be removed easily if necessary (dormancy, pests, etc.).

I use a mix of cool white and GroLux fluorescent tubes over my tanks left on for at least 14 hours (on a timer).  You do not want to completely seal a tank as you need some air circulation to keep mold and fungus at bay.

As far as growing conditions go...different plants have different needs.  Its a good idea to read up on the native conditions of the plants you are interested in and then try to duplicate that (temps, water, humidity, light) in your own setting. Also there are many different ways to grow CPs and everybody experiments to find what works well for them in their environment.

AND...Welcome to the forums and a very addicting hobby!  
biggrin.gif

In addition to sponsor, the forum members are always trading plants and seeds and gemmae and cuttings and firstborn male children.....

thanks all. looks like some CPs are gonna be an interesting project to fiddle with this summer. Does anyone have a recomendation for a species or strain of VFT? Just want somehting that looks cool (duh) and is relatively easy. When I'm ready I am gonna try to get something off this forum, so suggestions are very welcome. Thanks again.

Anything with red in it - like Red & Green Dragons.

There is really only one species of flytrap...Dionaea muscipula. However there are numerous cultivars only a few of which are officially registered as cultivars. Red Dragons and Green Dragons are popular. Pink Venus is quite beautiful.

If you want to see photos of various forms of flytraps, give BobZ's site a look. You can find the link in our Articles Forum. Bob maintains a massive "library" of links to all kinds of CP photos. You'll find pics of most, if not all, varieties of VFT.
smile.gif

And don't forget about pings...they are easy to care for and produce beautiful flowers. Check out the ping forum for some nice pics there.

Back