Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prospective newb with a lot of questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all,

I am interested in getting a VFT and maybee some other accompanying plants in a small (10-20gal) viva/ter/aquarium. I have been keeping 2 nano coral reefs for the past year and a half so most of my knowledge of lighing comes from that area of glass boxes. Plus I am constantly running RO water.

My questions are bassically:

What's a pretty looking easy care level VFT to start with?
    Is 24w 6500K daylight enough light?
    How deep of substrate? Peat moss and play sand, correct?
    what are some compatable plants to investigate?

just some pointers, really, is what im looking for
    ...the never-ending coral maze!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No need for a VFT in a terrium, they are Temperate to the USA (between North Carolina and south carolina coast regions) But people can grow them all over the states. Terriums are for tropical plants. Most people think that VFT's are tropical plants. Now you know. Unless you have reason for growing them in a Terrium. Just use a Small Fish Tank.

Cheers

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi and welcome to TerraForums! As iterated above, VFT's do best when outside. Same with American pitcher plants. Most, if not anything else does well on window sills / hanging baskets.

Hey, I'd love to talk salt with ya! What fish and/or inverts have you been keeping?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okay, so I wont need a lid, but say I was going to plant some in a 10 gal. its the above setup a good starting point?

depth of substrate and amount of water is really what im wondering bout now? an compatable plants? preferably ones that dont go dormant.

can anyone link up aome pics on this site of people growing in aquariums/glass boxes, as opposed to pots.

My main 2 reasons for the tank is a) my cat and b) I can put it under my geckos on the bottom of a wrought iron stand. hang the lights from below the gecks or whatever.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of geckos, cats, and 10 gallon tanks, my buddy Elgecko has all of those and is an excellent source for guidance! He has one tank that is a essentially an "open tray", with a bunch of CP pots. He has another tank that is set up as a terrarium, with artificial lighting and Cephalotus follicularis and a sundew I can't bring to mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    after all the stuff ive read today, im def gonna try a VFT to get my feet wet. Its just I really want to do artifical lighting. What can I say, I like to waste electricity.

Where would you suggest getting my hands on a first specimin or two?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to throw a wrench into the works, but VFT's do best when placed outside. They are commonly sold at garden centers, like Home Depot, Lowes, and Walmart. Also, forum members may be offering them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, im getting that impression. More wrnces sooner means less headaches later, im sure. Not a big deal. I have a couple of ledges where they can be placed outside undisturbed for starters.

However, anyone who can provide me with some good indoor lighting pointers regarding wattage and K-temp, much appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast