Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying plants with restrictions on them

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Folks,

I recently saw a for-sale list of CP that a private grower was circulating around. You know the sort of list---we see them all the time. Anyway, this grower (who's identity shall go nameless but is easily guessed) demands that the terms of sale include the requirement that the purchaser cannot propagate plants and give them to third parties. In effect, this is like he is demanding a patent on the plants.

Well, I have a big chunk of change in my pocket that I was thinking about spending on some plants, but I just can't agree to the stipulations. So...I'm going to spend the money elsewhere. But I'm wondering---does this kind of demand seem acceptable to you?

Please, let's not let this discussion degenerate into ad hominem (personal) attacks against this person...I'm really more interested in the spirit of plant trading in CP culture.

It sort of reminds me of some trades I've made of extremely rare material. For example, those few people I've given divisions of Sarracenia 'Adrian Slack' have also gotten requests from me that they give two free specimens of the plants to other growers before they start selling them. So I suppose maybe I've done the same sort of thing, but just in the direction of encouraging easy distribution of plants. I'm just not sure....

Anyone have thoughts on this stuff?

Barry
    Carnivorous Plant Newsletter
    Co-editor

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have opinion. I don't know who this person is, but I can guess.

Anyway the only reason to make this demand is to build up his own ego. He wants to keep the plants rare so that he feels more important because he has plants that is hard to get and he wants to keep it that way.

If he cared about the plant instead of his reputation he would want the plant to spread as far as possible.

As long as we try to keep plants rare, the longer poaching will be a problem.

I guess poaching won't be a problem for long because as soon as we develop all the cp site's there won't be anything to poach. We need to spread the plants around as much as we can so we can make sure it survives into the next generation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hows he going to keep control over some one who trades them?

Cheers

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!! unknownclown's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to me it sounds like a crock of.... well Im sure you can guess without me ending the phrase! Its just plain silly to make a request like that on a plant youre selling, trading or whatever! If this person wants to keep this plant to his or her self then why bother selling it? And what if ya do propigate it, is this person going to demand the plant back? If so Id say fine and take another cutting! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] Only cause Im a brat like that though [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    I am the weirdo who sits next to you on the bus!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Barry, Once you own the plant, he can scream til the cows come home, but you can do whatever you want with those plants. Once they are on your turf, the decision is up to you.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!! unknownclown's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    to me it sounds like a crock of.... well Im sure you can guess without me ending the phrase! Its just plain silly to make a request like that on a plant youre selling, trading or whatever! If this person wants to keep this plant to his or her self then why bother selling it? And what if ya do propigate it, is this person going to demand the plant back? If so Id say fine and take another cutting! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] Only cause Im a brat like that though [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Im guessing the person is in it just for the money
    I am the weirdo who sits next to you on the bus!

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Barry-Rice @ Mar. 15 2006,6:34)]... this grower (who's identity shall go nameless but is easily guessed) demands that the terms of sale include the requirement that the purchaser cannot propagate plants and give them to third parties.
    Barry, I get a bit upset when I see that sort of stuff. If I buy a plant, it's mine. If it's mine you can't tell me what to do with it. I should be able to share it or not as I please with like minded friends and individuals. His statement makes it obvious to me that he is in it only for the money. The plants are just a commodity to him and not something to be treasured and shared with others who would also enjoy their beauty and form. If they were not a commodity to him why would he make a stipulation that makes him the only source of these plants. If that's they way he feels about them he can keep his *darn* plants [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/mad.gif[/img] !

*Note* I used a slightly stronger stronger word than darn! Silly filters [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

EDIT: UKC, We must have been reading each others mind [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img] !
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this grower has plants that are rare in cultivation, and wants an opportunity to sell as many as they can, they should hold off selling until they propagate enough themselves. Then they should market in a way to get the most they can in one shot because in this caring, sharing CP community, that's the only chance they may get.

If they want to be one of the few who owns it? Well, life is fragile my friend, they could go any minute. If the plant isn't shared, not much of a legacy is left. I know that might sound a little dramatic and overstated, but it can and does happen--all the time.
    My chicken legs taste like chicken--only less meaty.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast