What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Calling computer gurus

Well, after frigging around, I deleted the partition and now have one local disk (C:/) that everthing gets copied to. I created a restore point so I have a failsafe...I'll make another as soon as I get EVERYTHING set to my specifications. I think I'm back on track.

Thanks to all the input from you guys. Glad I'm not the only one that has experienced this.

EDIT: ps Adaware and Spybot generall cause more problems than they fix, they are spyware themselves. Use Windows Defender.

How is Adware spyware? I don't see it sending info when I use it. I haven't had a problem using Adaware yet. I didn't like spybot so never used it after the first time. I will check out windows defender and see whats up with it.

Brendhan lets just say that the majority of the software I use is freeware.
smile_m_32.gif
My OS is legit, but I could have used the one that came with my Emachine had I known my memory was fried and that was the reason it wasn't loading. Seems to me your clients A) didn't have there files saved in a good place to allow window washer to delete it. B)They didn't make a hard copy backup on CD like they should. It amazes me the ammount of people who think PCs are fool proof. Unless your using a CD for info a HD can get corupted more easily than many people think. Yes they run flawlessly most of the time, but they can easily get messed up by the slightest thing, or faulty program. PCs are about like growing plants I guess. What works like a champ for me may not work right for you. Every PC is different even if the equipment is identical. Its the nature of electronics. I use an old pentium 2 to do some things I need to do because it seems to work better than my AMD 2 gig machine.

Gracilis I am glad you have everything about back on track. Did you look into slipstreaming so if you have to reload again it has all your programs covered in one install?

Since we have the PC gurus looking at this I wonder if any of the folks that have been in it a while has any of the old stype memory that would fit in my Pent 2 machine. The 256 dimm I took out of my custome machine is too new for that machine and it only has 16 megs!!! LMAO But it works and works faster than I would expect it too. Stream line baby Stream line!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Mar. 23 2006,4:51)]They didn't make a hard copy backup on CD like they should. It amazes me the ammount of people who think PCs are fool proof. Unless your using a CD for info a HD can get corupted more easily than many people think.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Storage expert warns of short life span for burned CDs
And don't count on hard disk drives for long-term storage, either

News Story by John Blau

JANUARY 10, 2006 (COMPUTERWORLD) - Although opinions vary on how to preserve data on digital storage media, such as optical CDs and DVDs, Kurt Gerecke, a physicist and storage expert at IBM Deutschland GmbH, takes this view: If you want to avoid having to burn new CDs every few years, use magnetic tapes to store all your pictures, videos and songs for a lifetime.

"Unlike pressed original CDs, burned CDs have a relatively short life span of between two to five years, depending on the quality of the CD," Gerecke said in an interview this week. "There are a few things you can do to extend the life of a burned CD, like keeping the disc in a cool, dark space, but not a whole lot more."

The problem is material degradation. Optical discs commonly used for burning, such as CD-R and CD-RW, have a recording surface consisting of a layer of dye that can be modified by heat to store data. The degradation process can result in the data "shifting" on the surface and thus becoming unreadable to the laser beam.

"Many of the cheap burnable CDs available at discount stores have a life span of around two years," Gerecke said. "Some of the better-quality discs offer a longer life span, of a maximum of five years."

Distinguishing high-quality burnable CDs from low-quality discs is difficult, he said, because few vendors use life span as a selling point.

Hard-drive disks also have their limitations, according to Gerecke. The problem with hard drives, he said, is not so much the disk itself as it is the disk bearing, which has a positioning function similar to a ball bearing. "If the hard drive uses an inexpensive disk bearing, that bearing will wear out faster than a more expensive one," he said. His recommendation: a hard-drive disk with 7,200 revolutions per minute.

To overcome the preservation limitations of burnable CDs, Gerecke suggests using magnetic tapes, which, he claims, can have a life span of 30 to 100 years, depending on their quality. "Even if magnetic tapes are also subject to degradation, they're still the superior storage media," he said.

But he's quick to point out that no storage medium lasts forever and, consequently, consumers and business alike need to have a plan for migrating to new storage technologies.

"Companies, in particular, need to be constantly looking at new storage technologies and have an archiving strategy that allows them to automatically migrate to new technologies," he said. "Otherwise, they're going to wind up in a dead end. And for those sitting on terabytes of crucial data, that could be a colossal problem."

~ Brett

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Mar. 22 2006,10:51)]How is Adware spyware? I don't see it sending info when I use it. I haven't had a problem using Adaware yet. I didn't like spybot so never used it after the first time. I will check out windows defender and see whats up with it.
It is not spyware neither is spybot. They are good programs.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Mar. 22 2006,10:51)]
Brendhan lets just say that the majority of the software I use is freeware. My OS is legit, but I could have used the one that came with my Emachine had I known my memory was fried and that was the reason it wasn't loading. Seems to me your clients A) didn't have there files saved in a good place to allow window washer to delete it. B)They didn't make a hard copy backup on CD like they should. It amazes me the ammount of people who think PCs are fool proof. Unless your using a CD for info a HD can get corupted more easily than many people think. Yes they run flawlessly most of the time, but they can easily get messed up by the slightest thing, or faulty program. PCs are about like growing plants I guess. What works like a champ for me may not work right for you. Every PC is different even if the equipment is identical. Its the nature of electronics. I use an old pentium 2 to do some things I need to do because it seems to work better than my AMD 2 gig machine.

At the risk of offending just about everyone. The average pc user is not to bright when it comes to the inside working of their pc. They want the pretty surface and no concern about the important stuff inside. Just like the way many of them deal with cars.

Using CDs for backup is not very good. They get scratch or corrupted far more easily than hard drives do. Unless you put the info on a cd and put it in a case on a shelf and don't touch it again. Hard drives are definitly the stronger medium. However as a first line of backup for the average home user they are fine. A second physical hard drive is the better. A usb memorey stick is also an excellent way to back up.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Mar. 22 2006,10:51)]
Since we have the PC gurus looking at this I wonder if any of the folks that have been in it a while has any of the old stype memory that would fit in my Pent 2 machine. The 256 dimm I took out of my custome machine is too new for that machine and it only has 16 megs!!! LMAO But it works and works faster than I would expect it too. Stream line baby Stream line!!!

I have plenty of pc 100 sdram ranging from 32M to 128M. I also have some simm memorey. I can trade you some for a few cps. I can even send you a free copy of FreeBSD.
smile_m_32.gif

Well Brett, I just have one thing to say about Magnetic tape. Magnet! Or even a Magnetic field. Normaly backups are good for only a few months anyways. Because the data gets updated and then a new disc is used anyways. Especialy if its a CD-R. Most folks data gets outdated before 2 years anyways. And if many folks do put something on long term storage then by the time they have to use it again the info is still out dated. If I look at a disk and the date on it is over a 6 months old, I rarely even stick it in to see whats on it because I know I have a newer backup. Tapes wear out by reading and writing the tapes. Ever wear out a cassette tape? I have. I have never worn out a CD or DVD. If you want to get technical about it the ultimate storage would be a jumpdrive of a few gig size. Because they will not wear out or degrade, and mag fields, to my knoledge, are not affected by mag fields, but even those can crash. I do not agree with that IBM guy because tapes are adiquated equipment. Tapes IMO are about the worst thing you could store something on because of Magnets. They are good for people doing illegal things with software because a high power electro magnet can wipe out a tape backup. Plus they are slow to access. so I never even contimplated buying one. NEVER. Again I I make backups so offten that they never get older than 6 months anyways so I will stick with CD-R and shred them as I make new ones. I am the type of person that if I haven't used it in over a year its more than likely useless to me now. So why would I want to store a disk with data, that will be outdated in 2 years anyways, for 30 to 100 years?

Well Brendhan thats what I do make a backup and put it up. Untill I make a new one. No need to mess with a backup its just in case the HD crashes and cannot be recovered or the bearings go out or something creepy happens to the PC I have a hard backup that is not affected by mag fields or whatnot.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gawd_oOo @ Mar. 21 2006,8:35)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You shouldn't be prompted for any activation for hardware upgrades unless you reinstalled windows as a part of it.
- incorrect - Part of the serial number from the processor, memory, Video card, I think one other component as well, are included in the activation process. It is also verified on every start up. If one has changed or something is added it will rerequest activation. (If I am remembering correctly 2 or 3 changes can be made before it asks you to re activate)
Like JBL said, changing your components won't result in having to reactivate. At least it's never been the case with me. (Though you are right about that)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Understudy @ Mar. 22 2006,11:34)]At the risk of offending just about everyone. The average pc user is not to bright when it comes to the inside working of their pc. They want the pretty surface and no concern about the important stuff inside. Just like the way many of them deal with cars.
You're so right about that. I don't consider anyone a PC guru until they've built their own PC.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Mar. 23 2006,5:42)]If you want to get technical about it the ultimate storage would be a jumpdrive of a few gig size. Because they will not wear out or degrade, and mag fields, to my knoledge, are not affected by mag fields, but even those can crash.
While flash memory can be really good due to its life and durability, you hit major issues with the number of read/write cycles they can withstand. I've never killed a drive that way nor has it ever happened to anyone I know but I'm aware of it as a risk. I wouldn't trust something which is known to have a limeted lifetime determined by how often it is used.

Wikipedia:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Like all flash memory devices, flash drives can sustain only a limited number of write/erase cycles before failure. In normal use, mid-range flash drives currently on the market will support several million cycles, although write operations will gradually slow as the device ages.

Especially when you run into the largest sized drives for backing up substantial amounts of stuff, you're risking putting it on the drive and never being able to take it off if the drive has gone through enough cycles. Granted, this could probably be resolved by buying a new drive and using it only as a backup, but flash memory is not without risks when used as a backup. That having been said... its probably your best bet
smile_m_32.gif

~ Brett

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Amateur_Expert @ Mar. 23 2006,7:51)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Understudy @ Mar. 22 2006,11:34)]At the risk of offending just about everyone. The average pc user is not to bright when it comes to the inside working of their pc. They want the pretty surface and no concern about the important stuff inside. Just like the way many of them deal with cars.
You're so right about that. I don't consider anyone a PC guru until they've built their own PC.

I don't consider myself a PC guru, but I did put this PC together. I'd have to relearn everything again to build another one, as a lot has changed in the last 2+ years since I built it. I'd have to look inside to even remember what I put in there.

As for using a memory stick for back up, the biggest problem I would have is misplacing it.

Memory keys can only withstand so many read/write cycles? Thats ahyuking nice to know.

Ad-aware and Spybot are good? I hear all negatvies about them, i used them and loved them but a few of my friends who "know alot about software" said they cause more problems than they fix.

DT

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You're so right about that. I don't consider anyone a PC guru until they've built their own PC.

Really? That's just when I star to consider them experienced contortionists. >_>

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Ad-aware and Spybot are good? I hear all negatvies about them, i used them and loved them but a few of my friends who "know alot about software" said they cause more problems than they fix.

I've had all good experience with both programs. Ad Aware never seems to target anything that if deleted can't be fixed. I mean, you could potentially have to reinstall java or a plugin if you delete something wrong using Hijack this, but that's about the extent of the damage I could potentially conceive in terms of hardware or software damage.

The most damage I could see these programs may do is allowing people to live with the problem. It's a temporary fix that doesn't necessarily teach people how to avoid spy/adware, just how to kill it. Eh, I figure it's a lot better that life without progs like 'em! I remeber registry-diving when certain things went haywire :tear:.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ Mar. 23 2006,11:11)]Ad-aware and Spybot are good? I hear all negatvies about them, i used them and loved them but a few of my friends who "know alot about software" said they cause more problems than they fix.
Plus, if you run spybot first, it creates a system restore point should something go wrong. They both also have logs of what changes have taken place so they can be reversed should the need arise.

~ Brett

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Est @ Mar. 23 2006,5:30)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You're so right about that. I don't consider anyone a PC guru until they've built their own PC.
What is scary is after the commodore computer I had. I build all of mine. I remember having make my first modem from an electronics magazine. At 600 baud I was kicking it.

I usually build most of my computers. Or I end up getting a prebuilt one and then modifying the hell out of the thing. Nothing like voiding the warrenty with 24 hours of receiving it.

If I didn't use laptops, I'd build my own - It looks sorta fun actually...
cool.gif

~ Brett

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If I didn't use laptops, I'd build my own - It looks sorta fun actually...
cool.gif

It is, and it's become a more smooth process! However, there are still always the odd issues that come up (broken/incompatible hardware and the like.) still, it's rewarding because you get a nice machine, you did it yourself, and you did it for a fraction of the cost that buying it from a company would have cost you. Joy.

Brett you really should not believe everything you read off Wikipedia.  I have read some downright FALSE info n that site.  Any loon can edit or post what they want on a subject.  Its not always based on fact.  I have crashed my jumpdrive once by removing it from a win 2000 computer without shutting the jumpdrive down, but I have written and read from my jumpdrive more times thant most people do in a 2 year, and I have had mine for over a year.  I use it at work to DL things from the internet or save things off the net while I am goofing off.  Then I transfer it home and put them on the computer or delete it if I don't need it.  I have never had a prolem.  Of course they are Sony microvaults, and the cheaper ones may frash, but I don;t think they have a limited read write times to use them.  Definatly if you were using them for backing up things you wouldnt be mucking with it on a daily basis anyways so it would be perfectly fine to use it for backing up provided you had a large enough one.  Like I said I use my 256 microvault just about daily because it has a program call AI roboform on it that stores my passwords securely.  I don;t keep them saved on a PC because thats potentialy a target.  Even though my master password for the sensative passwrds more than likely would not get hacked its still possible.  Why do I use it for passwords may you ask, well, some of the websites I visit require a 25 charector password with atleast 6 special charectors in the passwrd. You know those passwords that require 3 different keystrokes to make like the copywrite symbol and other things.  Well I can;t remember those much less type them to fill in my passwords so I use roboform to do it for me with a master I can remember and can type, but still strong enough not to get cracked if the contents of the drive get into the wrong hands.  It was for the protection of a few delicate sites I am members of.  So no Jumpdrives do not have a limited read write cycle that I know of or have experienced yet after over a year of intese reading and writing and defraging, yes I have defragged my jumpdrive, of my sony microvaults.

I also think building PCs are fun. I built mine and I am about to rebuild my mother in laws. I will build my next one unless its a laptop, but I have heard of some folks building their laptops too.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ Mar. 25 2006,3:14)]Brett you really should not believe everything you read off Wikipedia. I have read some downright FALSE info n that site. Any loon can edit or post what they want on a subject. Its not always based on fact.
I definitely agree with you there, but its still an established fact that USB drives have an intended lifetime which is based on the read/write cycles, hence the need for special programs to run off them (Portable Firefox, etc.) which are modified to limit the cycles needed, but I still think they're great for backups. (A Google search brought up this.) It would be stupid to use one as an OS for an extended period of time but very few people do that anyway. I use one for all my important stuff too, but its still good to know that they have their own unique vulnerability which you must be aware of. Since I mostly buy / use laptops, the closest I get to building my own is being very picky with the components I have put in them. I also offered my friend $40 for an old Micron P3 + monitor which I'm looking forward to recycling as an experimental Linux box. Should be fun
smile.gif

~ Brett

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nrbelex @ Mar. 23 2006,11:53)]If I didn't use laptops, I'd build my own - It looks sorta fun actually...
cool.gif

~ Brett
I saw an article in Maximum PC about how Laptop building is starting to build some fame around it.

Back