Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sudoku

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Samurai Sudoku. It's absolute Sudokumania bliss!
    It's also far easier if you remove the whole false relationship with mathematics - it has nothing to do with them just because most puzzles are set up with numbers (they can be anything from letters to shapes to colours).

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually shoku, sudoku is very mathematical. Even if you take away the numbers, you still have nine distinct symbols and a definite set of rules, which is enough to have math do the hard work for you. I spent most of last year writing general solutions to constraint-based problems like this for a math/computer programming class. Combinatorics (the math of countable objects) and formal logic (logic based on symbol manipulation, which can be boiled down to arithmetic) have lots to say about games like sudoku. For example, when choosing which number to place next, what number will take the least amount of consideration? Generally speaking (and assuming your partial solution is correct,) it's whatever number has been used most often in the solution; if you're placed eight 5s and less of everything else, then there will be only one available choice for where to put the last 5, whereas the rest of the numbers require consideration of a larger number of choices to determine the correct placement. Further, you can ignore the 'each row, column and square has 1-9' rule and instead focus on the simpler concept of not having doubles in any row, column or square, because in the confines of sudoku these two rules imply exactly the same thing.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shoku's blatant statement forced me to renew my knowledge of sudoku while reading this article strictly about the math involved in solving a puzzle I strayed across a sudoku CUBE here and some other obscure variant here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I apologise, I should've clarified. I was referring to how to play/solve it, in which case you don't need the math consciously (I've cleared all sudoku puzzles I've come across to this day, and that's well over 300 - I just use my eyes, common sense (maths, subconsciously, perhaps?), and a pen/pencil) - how it works is definitely mathematical but I'm not interested in the mechanics of the puzzle - just to solve it

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Amori and welcome to the discussion! I know what you are saying. That made sense.

Would you all say that it doesn't matter if one approaches as a micro-grid of 9, as opposed to solving for a row or column?

My introduction to this was a couple months ago, in the back of an airplane magazine. I found it a bit frustrating that I never solved the puzzle and had numerous crossouts on the way to exasperation. This is especially bothersome because I do well with puzles, particularly those of math orientation. Perhaps I should have done more Rubic's Cube as a kid!

I just can't see past process of elimination, trial & error, and common sense. I can't even do an integral!

Here is a link for sudoku online:

Sudoku online

Emily, I tried cutting and pasting a grid, only the contours didn't show up. Would it be possible for you to illustrate how you would approach this sample puzzle?

8 1 5
    4 2 3 1 6
    7 6 9 3
    1 4 6 5
    9 8 6 7
    6 3 9 2
    8 4 5 7
    3 2 7 9 4
    5 4 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm having trouble figuring out which columns the numbers go in..could you maybe put zeros where there are blank spaces, Jim?
    -Emily

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about that, Emily! Okay, I went back to that site and the grid changed. Must be a daily puzzle. Anyways, here's today's grid:

0 0 0 6 0 0 0 3 2
    0 5 6 8 0 0 7 0 0
    8 0 7 9 1 0 0 5 0
    0 0 2 3 0 0 0 6 7
    9 0 0 5 0 4 0 0 3
    7 4 0 0 0 6 1 0 0
    0 3 0 0 2 8 5 0 1
    0 0 8 0 0 5 9 4 0
    4 1 0 0 0 9 0 0 0

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A coworker of mine was crazy over Sudoku so I tried it. She said it was about logic...but I didn't see any logic to it. It just placing numbers in squares. It seemed pretty random to me...but I didn't spend a lot time with it as I found it rather boring. I would give it another shot though since people seem to love it.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast