Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: growing herbs/ other plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ps ~ maybe try to use an organic soil ~i know what your thinking ~ from the girl who recomends a potty for a grow space is asking for organic soil ~ but you know ~ you are what u eat `

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow, off and on, a lot of exotic plants and herbs. They're fun, and it does beef up one's general plant knowledge for working with other kinds of plants.

Avoid toxic plants, though... and I'm talking the "eat it and you die" toxic. They're usually trickier to work with, and inevitably someone will have a scare.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Herbs are always good because they smell good, they taste good and make for some mighty fine cookin'.

And if you really want to get into plants, you can always set up a fluorescent light fixture inside and grow that way...orchids, african violets, etc.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for all the input. i couldn't find any chives for the tume being and i dont have time to go to a nursury and my daughter just spit up on me...
    i got a basil plant for now.

anybody know if i can put it in the same pot as my garlic?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think chives are basically wild onions. you know the ones in your yard? i have never tried garlic before...i might give it a try!
    alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never tried garlic before? This is sacrelidge! You've never had any sort of Italian or French or Chinese or Thai or one of the dozens of other cuisines that feature garlic? Garlic is a wonderful thing. Just don't eat it raw - it makes raw onions seem like candy.
    bugfreak, the basil will work in the same pot as the garlic, but make sure they both have plenty of space. The basil should have at least a couple inches more space in the new pot as it did in the pot it came from, and the garlic should have a space to itself several inches wide. The deeper the pot, the better, and some time-release vegetable-safe fertilizer in the soil doesn't hurt either.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basil is a fantastic herb to grow ~ you can use it as a puree a paste ~,here is my quick favorite / sliced baguette, a little olive oil a little garlic a basil leaf or two and a pop in the toaster oven for a few minutes ~mmm yummy ~ plus you already have two of the ingredients growing for you in one pot ~ i advise keeping your basil well watered and dont let it get to a flowering stage ~ keep it low and manicured rather than long and leggy.it will have more flavor and will last longer for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darn you plant people!!! well, i went to get some potting soil. it seemed ridiculous to have such a big bag for my one little basil. so now i've ended up with oregano, parsley, and rosemary. did some quick digging (no pun intended) to see what they liked and if they are perrineals/annuals. now i've got jesus the vft, a common houseplant indoors, garlic in one pot, parsley and basil in one pot, and oregano in another. i blame you plant people... yeah.. uh huh... my husband's gonna freak when he gets home.

well, i must say at least this was a LOT LOT cheaper than spending the day spoiling Pookie the beetle. i just spent a little good chunk of $$$ getting the bug chipped. now that it's got more power, i want to get a paint job because Pookie is all scratched up. if it's getting painted, i might as well get a new front end. i'm not a big fan on body kits in general but i think the beetle cup front end would look subtle and sweet. hmmmm.... exhaust would be much cheaper. sorry guys... i just kinda went off on a tanget. i'm done with pookie. maybe i'll get some body shop guys to touch up the scratches in real life.

suddenly the plant thing seems like a very good thing i did.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast