Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: growing herbs/ other plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anybody grow any plants other than cp's? i've often thought about growing some herbs but never got around to it because i don't have a sunny windowsill and texas summers are brutal. i live in an apartment so any plants i have can either be inside or outside. the patio gets full texas sun but there are some areas where it's shaded.

right now, i've got jesus the vft and a garlic plant outside. the garlic was quite by accident. i just kept growing before i got to use it so i planted it and it's growing even more. anyway, i thought i'd throw some basil, parsley, or something out there too. does this seem like a wise idea or should i just not try until we get a house?

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go for it! Last year I grew a bunch of basil, green onions, cilantro, oregano and rosemary on my porch and it was great. I've got a lot of them coming back this year and I'm going to start even more once I make some more space outside. You really can tell the difference with fresh produce, and growing it for yourself makes it even better.
    You might try to shade your plants later in the day when it begins to get hot; full sun works for me but I'm far north of Texas and our summer highs are usually just in the 90s. It shouldn't be a problem this early in the year, but watch for wilting or burning in the summer and shade accordingly. Try some vegetables, too - many pepper and tomato plants do well in hanging baskets and excel in your climate. The best thing to do would be to go to a local farmers' market and ask around there. If you don't have a farmers' market, a nursery or garden center will do, but I find that farmers usually have the best insights into what works locally.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    basil grows like mad for me every year, and you just can't beat it in cooking. i'm also very partial to rosemary and sage... i agree with seedjar, ask local growers and maybe look around online for varieties that will grow well in your area.
    "Seeds? Oh yeah... sometimes I forget they grow from those. I feel like they should hatch or something."

~a friend's observation of my CP's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grow chives. my mom usees it as a garden flower at her house. it gets purple flowers and is quite drought tollerant. spreads nicely to
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to the farmers market downtown. It's right off of 30 & Harwood. They have every single herb that grows well in Texas. They have good stuff and are also quite cheap.
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    get what ever you want....BUT GET MINT!!! and whatever you get be sure you are going to use it. my mom is a HUGE herb grower. she grows mint, jalapeno(pepper jelly), habanero(pepper jelly), banana pepper, dill, sage, rosemary, chives and a partrige in a pear tree(haha)
    good luck
    alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my housemate fancies himself a good cook (he's not ), and he has a window box of a few herbs...parsley, oregano, basil, and rosemary I think. and, let's just say he's not as into plants as I am. The soil he used to pot them was from a pile of dirt in his backyard, and apparently was so nutrient-poor that there were NO weeds or grass growing on it. Also, the poor plants will be brown and on the verge of death before he finally waters them. Though they aren't exactly the vision of health, they've lived this long. The parsley actually looks pretty good. So, heck, get some herbs...if you water them more often than my housemate does, and put them in soil intended for growing plants, they should do great!
    -Emily

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say do it~ i bet there are some great herbs that grow in the texas sun, plus you can grow them in just about any container from a tin can too, well ~ ive seen beautful thymes and nastertiums growing outta old potty's ~ { you know pink cute ones ~ } not just any ole..well ~ lets just leave it at that ~ ... i would say though if you use terra cotta pots leave a saucer underneath as the clay will suck up all the moisture. you'll be an epicurian expert in no thyme
    www.centraltexasgardening.net/herbs.htm[/EMAIL]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast