What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

will my "lil" tykes spike?

i just recieved 25 beautiful healthy bouncing baby vft bareroot bulbs~ { all fingers and all toes in tact} i have bought quite a few mature plants that are doing great ~ but these ~ these are so small, so new ~ so , needy ~ what do i do? unwrapping them from their wet paper towel today i planted them a plug tray 1 part peat moss 1 part perlite, i soaked the tray and mixture before planting, pressed them in set them in a saucer of water 1/4 inch and put them out with the elders to sunbathe. and there they sit.i was told they are 1 ~1 1/2 yr olds and have not been forced out of dormancy.
what do you think? do they have a fighting chance ?

Where are you living and what is the temperature and humidity differential between where they came from and what they are in now? The reason why I ask is that if the plants are experiencin too much of a difference, particularly if they were just shipped, it could send them into shock. I speak from experience, having taken Neps in hanging baskets and putting them outside last summer. I had them in "bright shade" for a week and thought they were adequately acclimated. But when I moved them 3" and into direct sunlight - they fried. Two years ago I bought a cobra lily that was in a plastic cube. I don't know how long it was in the store, but when I repotted and placed outside, within hours the pitchers all withered.

What I'm getting at is that too much too fast, esepecially if in a weakened state (from neglect or shipping) can set then over the edge.

Now I just put outside buckets of minibog plants (Sarracenias, cobra lily, several sundews) that had been in a coldish attic all winter. They were in temps that ranged from the 30's to the 60's all winter, and right at a window sill. the natural photoperiod woke them up in due course and spring finally arrived in Western NY. So it was time. Now a day later, none of the plants reacted to this change. Healthy, growing plants can take some jostling.

You will know after a day of sun and fun if it was too much too fast. Generally speaking, I would put plants outside in the shade for a day and move gradually to the sunlight. Another thing to do is wait for a cloudy or a rainy day or until the sun is setting. Keep us posted!

i'm coming from the pacific northwest ~oregon ~and my plants the same . i bought them from a cp nursery, here in the area. they look healthy , though i can see why they would go into shock {baby teeth a chattering} the heat in the green house is up for fruits and veggies and i'm afraid if i put these tiny bare root vft's they will cook and turn to mush. outside humidity is low and we are expecting showers with some sun through sunday, temps 52/41~maybe they'll be ok ,as you thought waiting for a rainy or cloudy day may help.
thanks jimscott

You're welcome! Pacific NW? Rain? Clouds? How unusual! J/K Seriously, it sounds like their conditions are going to be just fine. You'd know by now if they were going to react. They'd wilt within a day, even hours. Man, it's actually warmer here in the Bufflo area! Hey, are you familiar with Oudeans Nursery? They are in Oregon. One of the owners sent me a lovely recipe to attract fruitflies, involving a milk container and banana peels!

If these are from the place I think they are, then all of your plants were living outside in direct sunlight and even colder temps at the base of Mt. Hood before being shipped to you. I don't think you have much to worry about by leaving them outside in the case of this nursery, as they raise all their temperate plants outdoors to harden them off for local growing. Under other circumstances I think jim would be right, but I'm up here in Washington and I never give my new plants from these guys any special treatment; I haven't had a problem yet.
Best luck!
~Joe

yes ~I have heard of oudeans ~ i know of them in washington a bit past seattle east of hwy 5, if they do have a nursery in oregon ~ i wonder how far it is from where i am ,their prices are great and i'd love to see the rest of them in person.~ i purchased a rosetted trop. sundew *D.Alicia and a pale yellow trumpet S. alata this time last year . i had them mailed and they were a nice nursery to order from ~milk container and banana peels ~ i picture an army of fruitflies being lured into the container and slipping on the banana peels one by one ~ that'll do it , slapstick style~ speaking of trapping fruitflies, i set 6 pimulaflora plants here and there around the inside of the greenhouse, tiny knats & fruitflies are flocking and sticking keeping my flower and strawberry plugs intruder free.
thank you also joe ~ i think your right they are doing fine tonight ~ and this nursery did say they grow all their vft outdoors all year round.
have a great new day

I found this site when I was searhing for plant pictures to ID what the garden centers were selling:

Oudeans

And was corresponding with one of the owners for awhile.

Do you also grow strawberries? That is something I have been doing, off and on. Seems as though every time I got a patch establishes - we moved. I also have runins with ants and slugs - especially slugs. Went through an evolutionary process of using copper wire, diatomaceous earth, and catfood partially cans buried in the ground, filled with beer and then bakers yeast & sugar, to drown the slugs. Had a 3-year system of rotating patches with runners and mature plants - then we moved.

D. aliciae: Here's a pic of mine from September:

AF002401.jpg

Man Jim, you keep really precise labels on your stuff just like me
biggrin.gif
(or is that in Klingon??)

Seriously, D.alicae is an easy grower- tho I've seen it pegged as "medium difficulty" I can't figure out why... Nice Clump, there, Jim

Carl, window sills, paint markers, and sharpies are my friends! Those and pipette containers and yogurt cups and Gladware, oh my! I'm "ghetto" all the way!

I think it comes from Druidia, or wherever Yoda exiled himself.

William Hung: "She's a clump".

Back