Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bird of prey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    moonflower, Great photo. Sure nuff' that's my guy. It is sooo neat to have a peregrine falcon around...and so close to my balcony. Who would ever think I would have to sell my home and move to a seaside condiminium to see my first peregrine falcon. Thanks guys for identifying him. I did goggle him and saw enough photos to convince myself.

I wonder if they will migrate as the Ospreys did? As soon as the mullet run was over in December they went back to the Everglades.

It truly amazes me how well some animals adapt to civilization. The Iguanas, which got here in the mid 60's, are everywhere in Lauderdale now. They love suberbia and all of the free hibiscus flowers to eat. Kinda strange that I never have seen one in the 'Glades.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since the peregrine falcon was having such a hard time making a comeback here in the west, It was a treat when I moved here to have a mated pair living in the cypress tree next door. They NEVER miss their prey, nor go hungry, and the best parents I ever saw. A rare sight these days, but a pleasure to see here, everyday. Enjoy them Lauderdale. Not many even get to see them these days.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]They NEVER miss their prey, nor go hungry, and the best parents I ever saw. A rare sight these days, but a pleasure to see here, everyday.
    Since they are such good hunters and obviously adaptable, I wonder why they are endangered. The pair I see are always carrying prey off to eat, they have time to nap in the morning and I have seen them harrass vultures for what just seems to be the fun of it.

Do people shoot them? And if they do, they are a whole lot better shot than I am...Okay, yes I could easily hit one with my .45 while they are napping across the way but when they are in flight...Even with a shotgun...I don't friggin' think so.

It doesn't make sense to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It had to do with environmental problems originally. DDT in the eggs almost drove them to extinction. When that was rectified, I believe habitat was next, followed by the amazing adaptability of these critters. No expert, but that is as I remember it. I am sure the whole ball of facts are out there somewhere, and I need to go back to Bio Sci/Zoology class.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not heard of a status report lately, but they had a few pairs released in Omaha years ago(captive bred, I think). I think they have done this in other cities, but the theory is the tall buildings mimic cliffs of their favored habitat.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's Hartford, CT's peregrine watch, where two cameras spy on a peregrine nest - http://falconcam.travelers.com/ - but I haven't heard about the falcons returning yet this year.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This bird looks PO'ed.

HEY, WHAT YOU THINK YOU LOKKING AT?!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool pic's. here's a web site that has pics and video on NJ's DEP ongoing falcon project: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/peregrinecam/
    there is a pleasure in being mad, which only a madman can enjoy!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast