Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bird of prey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am hoping one of you forum members can identify this resident raptor. This bird of prey and his mate show up to take a 9:00 AM siesta on the window ledge after a hard morning of eating critters.

They are very successful hunters as I have seen them many times flying with captured Iguanas and doves. They fly to the top of the building to eat, sending a shower of feathers and body parts in the wind.

He is looking directly at the camera. The small black spot in the center is his beak. The distinctive "football helmet" may help identify him. Is that a pair of toenails or what?

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a beautiful bird! I love the raptors...always so regal looking. I think you posted a pic before but it was further away. He/she is a real beauty!

I looked for an ID for you but no luck so far. I'll keep trying.

BTW...I didn't know Florida had iguanas...
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweet looks like a perigrine falcon to me from the pic.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have lots of Iguanas down here in South Florida PAK. They are not native. Two, a male and a female, used to sunbathe on my back patio. He was very close to five feet and showed no fear of full grown cats nor would he have anything to fear from the bird I took the photo of...he just picks on the baby Iguanas, anoles, doves and pigeons.

Rattler, are you serious? A Perigrine Falcon? Wow! I would love that. I have seen him do a power dive into the park across the street and there is no doubt he is flat cookin'. He dissapears behing the trees and I keep thinkin' he must have crashed and burned but he always shows up the next day.

I am waaaay ahead of some of you...he is NOT an Atlanta Falcon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im about 95% sure it is dont think ive ever seen one outside a zoo which is odd since im in their range. see alot of their smaller cousin the prairie falcon though. even saw a couple bald and golden eagles 3 or 4 weeks ago. see them all the time. harriers, redtailed hawks and kestrels are fare more common though. see harriers several times a week even when im not out in the hills.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually from the photos I've looked at, a peregrin was my closest guess. But the photos I've seen so far are not the best in the world so its kinda hard to tell.

I see hawks a lot here...both while driving on the highway, around my back yard and around the office. I have never been able to figure out what it is since I haven't had a camera handy to take pics.

Five foot iguana! Wow. Well at least I'm not totally ignorant...I didn't think iguanas were native to FL. But I am geographically challenged so ya never know.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i aree with rattler...its a periguine falcon.....fastest animal on earth!
    alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dead ringer for a peregrine if you ask me... just google it

"Seeds? Oh yeah... sometimes I forget they grow from those. I feel like they should hatch or something."

~a friend's observation of my CP's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast