Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: New carnivorous plant genus?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does look like a drosera but no dew is produced... flowers and more genetic backgroudns will tell, heck even a new species of drosera would be neat, i would grow it any day (if it got into cultivation any time soon!) I was hoping so much for their to be a Carnivorous plant on this exploration! And they might have foud one.. it could also be a defence mechanisim... kind of like how a thorny bush has thorns... any ways Its neat none the less.. any red pigment found on any of them (or something they look very boring!?) From what it looksl ike it doesnt look like theirs any glands on the tip of the hairs, maybe the whole hair is the digestive gland? maybe they snair the prey and then digest it some how?

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whoa, I gotta have one
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also expected to hear news of a cp on that expedition, but considering the part of the world that it's in I expected it to be a new Nepenthe. It's never too early to start thinking about conservation, so I'm sending you an email Barry, maybe we can get a chance to discuss this before you take off to the Lone Star.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea... i was just about to leave a comment about conserving the site as they have allready disturbed the delicate balance of the eco system in the area they are explored.

cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds to me like the site is already protected. A single herbarium specimen isn't really going to offset the balance either unless the plant is extremely rare and delicate.

-D. Lybrand
    Check my growlist! Nothing currently available for trade...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they said they took a bunch of specimin back from the ecosystem they studied....

Cheers

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Barry-Rice @ Mar. 30 2006,3:56)]because her team is the only group of people with specimens for herbarium specimens!
    It doesn't say "a bunch" either. It just says specimens. That could be only two or a hundred. Don't know how many plants are needed for herbarium specimens, but I wouldn't think you would need much more than three or four plants at the most.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok i know Ibicella lutea is one of the Devil's Claw Trios.....but havent we proven already that it is quasi-carnivorous? we thought that the bugs would rot on the very sticky leaves and the nutrients from that are somehow absorbed through the leaf...now im confused....did someone discover that it is carnivorous by excreting dijestive enzymes?
    very confused
    alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast