What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New carnivorous plant genus?

Who know's, this could be a seedling.

hmm it could be... imagine it could have stages.... (theirs another carnivorous plant that goes through a Carnivorous plant stage... then it grows out of it...
smile_m_32.gif
)

Cheers

Barry is preparing for his trip, so he asked me to post this.

I have a very exciting update on these plants.
Barry said he has been on the phone all day today. They have been testing this plant extensively since the expedition.

THEY HAVE CONFIRMED IT TO BE CARNIVOROUS!!

That's not the only thing either.

The leaf shows motion. The leaves curl up entirely in an astonishing 25 seconds---even
the longest leaves, which are more than six inches long. This was not
noticed before because the activity only occurs at night. Evening-foraging
insects, especially soft-bodied centipedes, are the main prey. When the prey is in the center of the leaf, Barbs are shot through the hairs into the victim. With the victim unable to escape, the leaf begins to roll up. As the victim comes in contact with each hair it too fires, until the victim is secured by hundreds of barbs. It then injects the victim with the digestive fluid, causing an almost instant death. The triggers are still unknown.

The news gets better.

They have finalized a conservancy plan. The team has dug up all the plants found at the site. They felt that with the new discoveries this plant was in danger of being lost as the area is logged and settled. They decided that the plants are much safer with the cp growers than at the site. If in the future, the laws are changed and the site is listed as a preserve the plants will be reintroduced back into the wild. Eighty percent of the plants have been shipped to Barry. They should arrive early next week. Barry was asked to distribute them as he sees fit. He only wants these plants to go to serious growers only. So to insure that, there will be a $350 fee for each plant. Since Barry is out of town he asked me to take the orders. We don't know how many plants are on the way, so they will be distributed first come first serve. If you are interested send me an email at voodoodancer@gmail.com. Your name will be put on the list. The plants will be sent out as soon as Barry receives your money and your check clears.

smile_k_ani_32.gif
OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG omG omG omg oMGA AHHHHHHHHHHHHH
laugh.gif

Cheers
Edit

Sorry for my excitedness... but im around for their to be a new CP discovery... will this be avalible to the Europeans to? or just usa people?

Cheers

Since they are not cites listed I see no reason we can't send them to any country. They are not on any endangered species list, so technically we can legally send them anywhere.

The post by Barry was timed just right.

Oh yeah I forgot to post the new pics we have of this plant.

86365196O485098897.jpg

86365136O183506741.jpg

86365257O368149008.jpg

smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile.gif
smile_n_32.gif
when i woke up this morning i knew today was going to be agood day!

"Check out my newest specimen!!"
"What is it??"
"Dunno, but it cost me 350$"

LOL sorry, I'm just thinking how weird it is to have a plant that doesn't even have a name of any sort...
Too cool, hopefully they grow real easy and are on a LOT of growlists in a few years,
tho finding centipedes is not gonna be as easy as making fruitflies appear...
The Harpoon Killing method is pretty sweet too, a REAL murderer, can hardly
wait to see some close-up pics of this nasty piece of work in action

Ah, April 1st. Just has that zing in the air!
smile_n_32.gif

Dude- Barry-rice started this topic. He is VERY respected in the carnivorous plant field. And would NEVER be part of ANY joke! Exp. when it has to do with a carnivorous plant. His love and devotion for CPs far outweighs all of ours together. I can see where you might feel that way though, since Ozzy is participating in the distribution of it. Ozzy is also very active in conservation. I'm sure that is why he is involoved.
Andrew

Edit: i've emailed you ozzy... I think it'll grow great in my green house.
smile.gif
soo excited!

Dude the proof is in the pics.

I have been swamped with emails from people that wants this plant.

To all the people who asked for multiple plants. Please understand that there will not be enough for everyone and we want to insure it's survival, so we are spreading the plant to as many growers as possible. So it's one per person.

I have a number of emails from people and I don't know who they are. When you send the email can you please include your forum name.

Thank you.

I've got tons of those in my back yard. If you help pull them out, you can have them for only $50 each!
smile.gif

*sigh* new this was too exciting to be true.

The "curls up in 25 seconds" was a bit much.

how could this not be true? Thiers photos... the timming is just what makes it sound off to people...

Cheers

A picture is not proof that something is other than what it appears to be.  Does this look like Richard Geer to you (sorry Ozzy)?!

15167913RL509628994.jpg

PS--IF you send me 35 cents, I'll ship him to you, but you have to be a 'serious grower'

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The leaf shows motion. The leaves curl up entirely in an astonishing 25 seconds---even
the longest leaves, which are more than six inches long. This was not
noticed before because the activity only occurs at night. Evening-foraging
insects, especially soft-bodied centipedes, are the main prey.

Why would it only be carnivorous during the night time? I can't think of a CP whose motion isn't speeded up by high temperatures and light.

I keep forgetting, What day is it?
smile_n_32.gif

smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

i hate being so gulable...
im not laughing to say the least
confused.gif

Cheers

Back