What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

neighbor stopped in with interesting news....

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
apparently over the weekend he spotted a critter walking past his grain bins bout 150-200 yards out from the house. he grabbed his binoculars to take a closer peak figuring it was a coyote. well it was to big and the colors not quite right for a coyote. he is pretty darn sure it was a wolf. i guess a couple others up that way have spotted it too and are pretty darn sure its a wolf.

the guy is a reliable source, been farming and ranching here all his life and has dispatched many a coyote and stray dog for harrassing his horses. plus its not like he was trying to identify it way out in a field. it was right up next to his grain bins not to far out. basically it was within 1/2 mile of my current house.

thinking bout calling fish and game but not sure if it will do any good cause the swore there were no mountain lions right up to the day someone shot one 15 miles from town.

I would still rather face a wolf than a lion. But, that's just me.

lol me too, to much game around here for a wolf to get hungry enough to take on a person(course rabies is a different story) with a cougar, well meat is meat. a person is about as good as anything else.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]a person is about as good as anything else

Actually, we're better. We, as americans, tend to be on the plump side. Plus there are no sharp hooves, horns or teeth to condend with. Just soft & pink (or brown or tan or olive or whatever).

Supposedly, humans don't taste very good... to other animals, I mean. I guess that's why there are so few cases of large predators killing AND eating humans. If at all, it's usually just killing.

-D. Lybrand

DL depends, crocodilians and leopards are notable exceptons. actually most big cats will turn man-eaters. but the leopard and mountain lion are two that will do it in the course of normal habits where lions, tigers and jaguars usually need out side influesnce(old age, broken tooth ect) but this isnt always true. leopards are extreamly well known to take humans as a normal part of their diet, going right along still catching and eating deer, antelope, baboons, monkeys, goats ect. mountain lions do the same thing though with far less frequency, course leopards dont mind living amongst ppl as much as mountain lions do.

as far as croc's and kin, doubt they have much for in the way as far a preferance for certain types of meat

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]thinking bout calling fish and game but not sure if it will do any good cause the swore there were no mountain lions right up to the day someone shot one 15 miles from town.
Just kinda curious...why was the cougar shot?

a native found it while out after gophers on the Rez, saw it and dropped it with a 22 mag. it was an young male.

another was tearing up colts south of the river, not sure what happened to it weither it moved on or some rancher did the 3 S's(shoot, shovel and shut up)

We have plenty of wolves here. There is a small family unit living near my house, Some nights I can here them, but most of the time they are to far to the west.

Back