What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bog Trip planning

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
Last year several of us on the forums decided to go bogging in Wharton State Forest, NJ.
I had a great time and I believe the others that went did as well. We made mention about making another trip to the Pine Barrens in May. The time is very close at hand and we should start planning.
I would like to come up with a date that the most people would be able to attend that would like to.

Info on Wharton State Forest

Pics from last year.
Sights
Animals
Plants

I'd love to make it again, but I don't know ifI'll be able to. I have a lot of things going on in May. If I can make it I'll be there though. I broke my tongs though.
smile_h_32.gif

*grumble grumble* west coast *grumble snort grumble*

Hi, just want to share some memories...

The Pine Barrens are AMAZING.  I grew up in mid-north NJ and never once thought our state, the brunt of toxic waste and suburban sprawl jokes, would house one of the nation's greatest wild collections of carnivorous plants.  I remember visiting Acadia Nat'l Park in Maine at the age of 11 and finding carnivores in bogs and being distressed that I didnt' live closer.  NOT SO after I did some research and realized how close I was to CP heaven.  After 3 failed attempts to find bogs (had to head more South) in the barrens, my patient dad and I finally found the beginnings of what looked like the bogs we saw in Maine.

Without going into too many details, I must say they are sights to behold and only recently did I realize the Pine Barrens were more closely linked to the southern savannahs than the northern bogs.  Sundews are weedy, pitcher plants are sometimes well-hidden, and cranberry farms surround you left and right.  I've made at least 10 trips since i was a child and each time the memories get better.  One word of caution, do not park too close to what may seem like good terrain near a lake.  SAND can be quite deep and dangerous to small compacts like my Nissan Sentra back then.  Can't imagine what would've happened to my friend and I if not for the help of some stoners who came by to lend an unexpected hand getting us out...

Thanks to encouragement from Dr. Barry Rice, I also took my girlfriend there about a year ago to show her my interests in a wild setting.  Of course, she made me take her to the beach afterwards but I wasn't about to complain after making her suffer through mud and muck and ticks.  

Happy boggin!
smile_n_32.gif

Makes me think of the Pine Barrens Sopranos episode. They're chasing a Chechyen rebel who used to work for the Russian interior in the woods (not a Czechoslovakian interior designer, which they think!)

alvin that episode you mention wasn't even filmed in the Pine Barrens. It was actually filmed in Tuxedo, NY, which is the southern tier of the Catskill mountains. If you're from this area it was a pretty noticable flub.(I live in NW NJ)

Bob,
What about doing the trip again?

Sorry about the delay in getting back to you Steve (your PM). I'd like to go but maybe as a couple of day trips from my home in Audubon PA

The date that I will be going will be May 19-21.

I have reserved my camp site in Wharton State Forest, at Atsion Campground, site #3.

I know of 1 other person so far that is also going, has taken camp site #2.

Let me know if any of you other CPer's are going so we can meet up then.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]alvin that episode you mention wasn't even filmed in the Pine Barrens. It was actually filmed in Tuxedo, NY, which is the southern tier of the Catskill mountains. If you're from this area it was a pretty noticable flub.(I live in NW NJ)

Thanks for that, I never knew. I suppose it's like the X-Files 'Washington' really being Vancouver.

Trip is getting closer!

I'd really like to go, but I can't. If you go next year I'll most definately go, since I'll be able to drive myself then.

I really like it out there so I'm sure I will be making trips out there at least once a year.

I'll have to do a mapquest to see how far going to pine barrens would be when I drive from Mass to the ICPS conference in MD. If it's reasonably onroute, think I'll give it a try.

Kirk
Fitchburg, Mass

If you can get there you will not regret it.
You will find CP's everywhere.

Back