Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: r/o unit ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

hello ,
    due to the price of bottled water my dad will be getting a r/o unit ,i told him to wate befor he gets it, becaus i knew ya'll would know the best brands and what exactly to look for when getting one from the store ( costco, e-bay )

well, it will be for him and my sister not my plants(but he'll let me have some so my plants do not die) that is besides the point ! , what i'm mostly concerned with is will it filter out viruses , bacterium , and that verry small amount of fecal matter the water comp says is non harmfull <-- i think any in the water a human or animal is to drink to be dangerus .
    it's not going to harm people with perficly functioning imune systms , but my sister who has a syndrom that compromises her imune sytem , could harm her.
    that's another reson to be weiry of this , for me at least.

but my dad is set on getting one .
    any help would be grately appreciated.

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The RO filter can remove the MOLECULES of disolved minerals etc. in your drinking water. With the exception of the viruses, (I can't remember their size compared to the holes in the RO filter), everything you listed is much larger than that and will be removed easily. There are units that also have a UV light for disinfection of the water and these would take care of any organism that did manage to pass through the filters.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can find some very cheap RO units on eBay (I got one for $50).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dose it do the same as an expencive one ?
    not to sound to much like a penny pincher but the store ones are up there in bucks.
    do you think we could use that uv sanitizer thing but get an attatchment ?

how long would you say it takes to get 5 gallons of r/o and uv sanitized water ? and would we have to sanitize it overnight ? or an hour or so ?

wow i am so glad i told my dad to let me ask the pros at ********** first!!!
    woohooo u guys r awsome

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    RO systems generally produce water pretty slow. But that is why they come with a storrage tank. So it holds about 2.5-3.5 gallons of clean water ready for use in the tank.
    As far as the UV sanitizer goes... there are add on ones you just add in the system like This.
    If you're going for "clean" water as you describe... I'd say to make sure they system you buy is 5 or maybe even 6 stage system....
    Also, I have recently heard of a new system that takes care of bacteria and such without the use of the UV light. That system is here..
    Hope that helps you.
    Andrew

Oh, and any system you get (and the future filter replacement parts) should be NSF approved.

-Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An RO TFC membrane should remove virus as well.

Edit:

Just did a quick search to verify.

From the link below:
    "
    The pores in a reverse osmosis membrane are only approximately 0.0005 micron in size (bacteria are 0.2 to 1 micron & viruses are 0.02 to 0.4 microns)."

Although if you are drinking it and there are potentially very nasty things in the water then I guess it doesn't hurt to have some UV for added protection.

RO and everything you wanted to know

The important thing is to make sure the filters are changed regularly and the system is flushed periodically to help unclog the RO membrane.

My suggestion is a simple unit at least 3 stage.
    Stage 1 Particle prefilter
    Stage 2 Carbon BLOCK prefilter
    Stage 3 TFC RO membrane

Note that this is the order the water moves through the system. Some systems have a carbon POSTfilter after the RO membrane but a properly functioning system shouldn't need this.

Cheap units combine stage 1 and 2 into one stage. A filter that does both particle filter and carbon filtering will not work as well. Cheap systems may also use a GRANULATED carbon prefilter instead of a carbon BLOCK. The granulated carbon is worthless.

I would also suggest you get one of those holding tanks that all goes under the kitchen counter and has a dispenser to mount above so you can get water when needed. They reduce the efficiencey of the unit but it is nice to have filtered pressurized RO water available at all times.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The $50 Kenmore unit I got does what Tony said... combines stage 1 and stage 2. But it does use a carbon block, not granulated. It also has a postfilter which I consider just a gimmick and never replace.

I dunno... it's hard to imagine a cheap one not being enough. If a cheap one purifies the water 98%, and an expensive one purifies 99%... well... how much damage is that 1% really going to do?

As long as you keep the membrane functioning well that's what really matters. That's what those additional stages can help accomplish in some cases, so maybe that's how you should go for the additional insurance.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For plants, I agree with you both. For what he is talking about... I'd take the extra Carbon block stage.
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast