What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black flies

Wow, the black flies are out in (hopefully) full force today.
I wanted to go do some fishing, but my white boat looks black with all the flies on it.

You can't stand still outside or they are all over you.

Ofcourse I saw this as a great opportunity to feed my plants after a long winter with out food. I moved most of my dews and pings, as well as a nep out there. First pot I took out was the D. capensis & D. spatulata jungle, by the time I got the forth pot outside the first plants had captured hundreds of the things already. I'm going to take a picture every hour or so, to show how many they are catching.

ugh! i call them no-see-ums

No-see-um, thats crazy they are every where. I can't not see um.
smile_n_32.gif

Any way here are some pictures after the plants had been out for an hour. Sorry hard to get good pictures while being attacked. But these show the feeding frenzy well. I'll get better shots of the pygmies and their catch when I bring the plants in. Which I may do soon cause well you'll see.

Black flies are different from no-see-ums, at least in the language of New England. This is early for the big population explosion of black flies in the north, so maybe they're no-see-ums. The plants's lunch lunchtime photos look more like no-see-ums too.

Well what ever they are there are a few thousand less thanks to my plants, nep pitchers are all about 1/3 full. I can't see any dew on the dews any more completely covered with bugs. The D. filiformis plants have toppled over under the weight.

WHOA!!!

that almost made my stomach turn. i'm glad your plants like em, and that it's you standing out there with those creepy crawly things (whatever they are), not me.

yummy! what i wold like to do is get a big D. 'Marston Dragon'(or similar) and just wave it in the air into a swarm of gnats...free bug zapper
smile.gif
. im sure all of your plants are going to have a HUGE groth spurt after all this! either that or they will all rot due to too much food
smile_n_32.gif

alex

OMG that is amazing. Your capensis is gonna get indigestion!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

this is proof that you NEED about a thousand more CPs.

Wow! Talk about a feast! I'm thinking about putting my plants outside this week thanks to this thread.

To bad their arent to many out hear yet
mad.gif

cheers

Back