Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: GAS PRICES!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah at the track I get 105 octane for about 6 bucks a gallon. My last track day cost me $80 bucks in gas alone. I can't belive I'm not dead broke.

Check your PM's Santos.
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    87 = $3.42 and climbing almost every 3 days right now.
    I consider every plant hardy until I kill it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, the sad thing about all this is that these price increases are NOT the result of higher crude oil prices. Those would only account for a TINY increase at the pump.

Instead, this is wholesale looting by the oil companies. Did you see the $400million retirement package the Exxon CEO got? Their profits are through the roof.

I agree with, who was it, Bruce? High gas prices CAN have a good effect. But not if the profits all go to oil company execs. In Europe and elsewhere, gas prices are high because it's taxed and the money used for actual services, roads, etc. So the public has a tangible benefit. There is no public benefit to a few oil company execs getting obscenely rich.

And not to get too political, but there are some big misconceptions about the goals of our foreign policy. Control of steady and voluminous supplies of oil in the middle east is NOT meant to reduce oil prices here at home. Unfortunately, the goal is to control supply in order to RAISE oil prices to help enrich oil companies who are big campaign contributors. Sad, but it's true.

Personally, I've parked the SUV and am driving a Scion that gets 30mpg.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This all makes me very, very glad I live within walking distance of the university and a grocery store. I haven't filled up since February, and it's still half-full.

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Capslock @ April 20 2006,6:53)]And not to get too political, but there are some big misconceptions about the goals of our foreign policy. Control of steady and voluminous supplies of oil in the middle east is NOT meant to reduce oil prices here at home. Unfortunately, the goal is to control supply in order to RAISE oil prices to help enrich oil companies who are big campaign contributors. Sad, but it's true.
    Capslock
    meanwhile, back in the real world...

gas prices rise and fall according by the laws of supply and demand. China and India are using more and more energy every year. (so is the USA and the rest of the world)
    Gas supplies are down, The gulf-coast refineries are still not back up to full production. Oil production in other parts of the world is impaced by terrorism.

Increased demand + less supply = rising prices.

There is no gouging, there is no political conspiracy.
    The president has nothing to do with it, and he cant change it.

its just simple economics.

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually in the real world, the oil companies are making record profits, gouging in every sense of the word.

This Exxon CEO just got a $400 million retirement package:

I don't think it's a stretch to say they're gouging us at the pump if they can pay ONE guy this much just for retiring.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "There is no gouging, there is no political conspiracy."

meanwhile, back in the real world...

How do I as a mere citizen not involved in the backroom dealings in major corporations know this is a true statement? For all I know the oil companies are manipulating their supplies creating a shortage to increase their profit margin. Gas where I am has been going up about 5 cents per day. Why am I paying more each day for the same gas that was at the station the previous day for 5 cents less? It certainly didn't cost the company more - or are they charging me for storing it in their tanks?

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast