Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: GAS PRICES!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How will you even know which places sell gas produced by ExxonMobil? The sign isn't reliable.

Look at ways you use energy frivolously and stop doing it. The easy things to do are to stay closer to home and to combine trips. It's amazing how people in the highly urbanized area I live in can drive so many miles when so much is so close. But they like a store that's 15 miles away a little better than one that's one mile away. Or they don't combine trips. Those are simple changes, even if they might seem excruciating. Long term changes include living close to work and having smaller cars and homes.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, the few people like Rattler living on the dark side of the moon aren't the problem. It's the hundreds of millions who live and/or work in urbanized America who need to change.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep reading that people should live closer to work, people should drive less, etc. Could someone kindly explain to me the basic logic in this. I don't know how it is where you live, but here in Fl. real estate prices have gotten absurd. Houses that 3 or 4 years ago were selling for $120,000 are now selling for 350 - 400,000. It doesn't seem like financially sound advice for me to move and up my house payments by hundreds of dollars a month to save a few tens of dollars in gas. I'm all for conservation, but I have to drive to the store and if its 15 miles away, its 15 miles away - I don't live in a bustling city where there is a Winn Dixie on every corner. I do combine trips - but isn't that just using the same amount of gas all at once as opposed to the same amount of gas on 3 different days? How about some realistic advice that a small town homeowner such as myself can actually put into use?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you break it down, there is really nothing you can do about gas prices. We put ourselfs in this situation by driving around in cars that get 6-7mpg. And we are to stubborn to car pool or use public transportaion. I still see people driving around in big H2's with their whole 3mpg. I'm not saying I'm any better b/c I drive around in a car that gets 6-9mpg. All I'm saying is that we put ourselfs here and now we can't complain.
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Houses that 3 or 4 years ago were selling for $120,000 are now selling for 350 - 400,000. It doesn't seem like financially sound advice for me to move and up my house payments by hundreds of dollars a month to save a few tens of dollars in gas
    Easy, buy those houses for $90,000 in a year or two when the price bubble pops and all the darn speculators who drove it this high are desperately trying to sell. To quote one of my favorite movies, "You get to make money off another person's misfortune. That's the basis of real estate."

Quote[/b] ]I do combine trips - but isn't that just using the same amount of gas all at once as opposed to the same amount of gas on 3 different days?
    Not really, unless the destinations are in opposite directions. For instance, if I need to go get some pet supplies, I'm also in the area I can get home supplies and hardware, so I just figure out what I need, then get it all at one in one trip, rather than making 3 trips on 3 days to places more or less in the same area.

Quote[/b] ]How about some realistic advice that a small town homeowner such as myself can actually put into use?
    Mostly it'd boil down to getting a car with better gas milage. A trick I use is to buy huge quantities of food/supplies that don't spoil when I go out, so that I can avoid shopping trips.

Quote[/b] ]All I'm saying is that we put ourselfs here and now we can't complain.
    To a larger extent, our behavior is only relevant to the time it takes prices to rise, since such rises are inevitable with a constant or increasing demand for a non-renewable resource.

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (buster1 @ April 26 2006,8:41)]I keep reading that people should live closer to work, people should drive less, etc. Could someone kindly explain to me the basic logic in this. I don't know how it is where you live, but here in Fl. real estate prices have gotten absurd. Houses that 3 or 4 years ago were selling for $120,000 are now selling for 350 - 400,000. It doesn't seem like financially sound advice for me to move and up my house payments by hundreds of dollars a month to save a few tens of dollars in gas. I'm all for conservation, but I have to drive to the store and if its 15 miles away, its 15 miles away - I don't live in a bustling city where there is a Winn Dixie on every corner. I do combine trips - but isn't that just using the same amount of gas all at once as opposed to the same amount of gas on 3 different days? How about some realistic advice that a small town homeowner such as myself can actually put into use?
    Saying one should live closer to work isn't always useful advice -- but I would take it to heart if you are considering a $300,000 McMansion that is 40 miles away from your job, or a more modestly-sized house that is 20 miles away.

If you're looking for a home in the $70,000 range, you may not have a lot of choice, especially if you have to consider schools, neighborhood, etc.

However, if you find yourself far from work, and can't easily switch jobs, you should consider trying to carpool if you can.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Dyflam @ April 26 2006,1:12)]This is from an email I got...

GAS WAR - an idea that WILL work

This was originally sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. It came from one of his engineer buddies who retired from Halliburton. It's worth your consideration.

Join the resistance!!!! I hear we are going to hit close to $4.00 a gallon by next summer...

*snip*
    If it could actually work, (which it cant) it would RAISE prices further..

who makes up these things??
    people are so stupid....

please see:
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/gasout.asp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think gas prices can be dropped if everyone worked together (which is impossible to organize). The idea would be to boycott ONE major gas company be it BP, Shell, ETC. If everyone boycotted that ONE major company that company would have to sell their gas cheaper, therefore making the other companies drop their gas prices to be able to compete. But once again this could never be organized.
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast