What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mac indentity issues

Nah, I'll stick with building my own PC's. I can't wait for Windows Vista.

Mac --> Great!
Building one's own PC --> Great!
Installing Linux instead of Windows --> Great!

100% Microsoft-free for 10 years--
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Mac --> Great!
Installing Linux instead of Windows --> Greater!

Fixed.
smile_m_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (xscd @ April 27 2006,9:54)]Mac --> Great!
Installing Linux instead of Windows --> Great!

100% Microsoft-free for 10 years--
smile.gif
I'd like to try Linux but I'm a gamer and that requires Windows. So I'm out of luck.

Yeah, that's a good point.

I'm not a gamer myself (except for the online game Travian), but many Linux users' biggest complaint is that all the good games are for Windows.

Because of that, a lot of Linux users dual-boot. They install Windows on a second hard disk or partition and most of the time they boot into Linux, but into Windows if they are in a gaming mood.

Many wish that the game manufacturers would make a version for Linux, but that seems unlikely to happen anytime soon.
smile_h_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (xscd @ April 27 2006,8:50)]Yeah, that's a good point.

I'm not a gamer myself (except for the online game Travian), but many Linux users' biggest complaint is that all the good games are for Windows.

Because of that, a lot of Linux users dual-boot. They install Windows on a second hard disk or partition and most of the time they boot into Linux, but into Windows if they are in a gaming mood.

Many wish that the game manufacturers would make a version for Linux, but that seems unlikely to happen anytime soon.
smile_h_32.gif
Bingo. That's why I use dual boot and just partition my drives. Gotta have my games.
smile_m_32.gif
Though, Linux does have some pretty good time-killer games (like frozed bubbles, my gosh!)

There have been some games which are supposed to run in Linux, but most require a fair amount of tweaking. But if people could get Unreal Tournament 4 (that's what number we're on now, right? lol...) to run on Linux with relative ease, then maybe we'll see some flexability in the future.

I've done some playing with WINE, and I've gotten a couple of games to work pretty well, but since I last tried, there's generally been one or two things that I couldn't tweak to make the game run perfect. Furthermore, IIRC, ATI is getting better with Linux drivers, and I believe that Nvidia is pretty on top of it, as well.

FreeBSD user here.
The only thing I still have windows around for is AutoCad.
If you have a Mac why would anyone want to ruin it by putting windoze on it?

I love FreeBSD. Great OS. If you can run Linux you can run *BSD, and vice versa, since they both have all the traditional Unix tools (plus great tools of their own). I have a brushed-copper figurine of the FreeBSD daemon mascot "Beastie" sitting on top of my computer right now.

The only reason I settled on Linux instead of FreeBSD is that Linux has (or had at the time) better support for use as a digital-audio workstation and for general multimedia use (digital-audio and MIDI recording, video editing and production, etc.) which as a musician and sometime composer is important to me. But FreeBSD is great!

Getting the discussion back to the original poster's subject (the Mac) I thought it was neat when Apple chose FreeBSD from which to create MacOS X, first customizing FreeBSD to run on PowerPC CPUs (the customized FreeBSD became called Darwin), and then using Darwin as the heart of MacOS X. Now Mac users can install and use many of the same programs that FreeBSD and Linux users enjoy and rely on.
smile.gif

The only reason to have Windows on there is so you can have a separate partition to play games on. And there's no point in doing that until the Power Intel Mac comes along so you can put a decent graphics card in there.

OS X really does embarrass XP. Just then I was wondering how to spell 'embarrass' - if I was at work I would just get dashboad up with one click and type it in the dictionary widget.

Windows Vista (when it finally appears) looks like a rip-off of X from its screenshots to me
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ April 28 2006,3:24)]OS X really does embarrass XP. Just then I was wondering how to spell 'embarrass' - if I was at work I would just get dashboad up with one click and type it in the dictionary widget.

Windows Vista (when it finally appears) looks like a rip-off of X from its screenshots to me
smile.gif
I guarantee you that directx10 will seriously embarrass anything OS X could ever dream of. Thats the only thing I want from Windows Vista and when I get it, it's on.

Some of the future games coming out for the PC running under Directx 10 will even embarrass the Xbox360 and PS3. I can't wait.

When I saw the specs and screenshots for Vista on the Microsoft site I honestly double-checked the URL to make sure I wasn't on some kind of spoof site. It was disheartening. The things they pass off as innovation... well, it's pretty much like the car companies passing off things like heated glove compartments as innovation. Inventing little problems to solve because they aren't cut out to solve the big ones.

But the gaming arguments probably hold weight... reminds me of something I just read the other day: http://www.penny-arcade.com/2006/04/19 (the Boot Camp post)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I guarantee you that directx10 will seriously embarrass anything OS X could ever dream of. Thats the only thing I want from Windows Vista and when I get it, it's on.

You're talking about games and DirectX. I'm talking about operating systems.

^^Yeah all I care about are games. The only non gaming related things I use my PC for are the net, Word 2000, and Bittorrent. I dont have any reason to use it for anything else.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CopcarFC @ April 28 2006,5:01)]Some of the future games coming out for the PC running under Directx 10 will even embarrass the Xbox360 and PS3.  I can't wait.
The PC always beats consoles in graphics in the long run because of nVidia and ATI battleing it out for top performance. Nothing that challenges the Xbox 360 comes out until ATI's R600 and nVidia's G80 later in the year. What are your specs? (Just curious)

Right now my PC is laughable. It's just powerfull enough to run Far Cry smoothly with most of the "pretty" stuff on. I'm going to build another one when the DX10 graphics cards come out. I plan on it being AMD powered with a Nvidia card and that new phisics card thing. My goal is to run Unreal '07 and that new Crytec game at full settings with no slowdown. If it can do that, then I will be happy.
smile.gif
Although I'll also be broke.
smile_h_32.gif

Back