User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coffee in soil?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've noticed that many people use coffee grinds on some of their more acid loving plants. Has anyone tried this with success on their cp's? I roast coffee all day long and have a plethora of beans. However, I think that the grounds might harbor mold. A secondary product of the roasting process is "chaff" this is a thin skin that comes off of the beans when they pop during roasting. These skins flow with the heated air out of the roast chamber and into a collector. I have more than enough for a lifetime of experiments. For twenty years we've been giving this to customers and they keep coming back for more. I intend to grab two baby food jars sterilize them and add grounds to one and chaff to the other, seal them with just a little moisture. Although the grounds would be tainted just by the process of brewing, the chaff on the other hand is in a tornado of 450-500 degree air leaving it pretty clean. Does anyone have any thoughts on this. Would this be a fairly controlled experiment? I plan on using the same batch of beans and chaff i.e. brazilian beans and brazilian chaff from the same roast. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have no idea. i've heard mixed opinions on using coffee grounds personally.

you've got me jonesing for a cup of fresh coffee now though. thanks alot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I will be using any grounds, other than for a comparison. The chaff contains just as much goodness/acidity as the rest of the beans. In fact some of the other companies throw it back in to make up for water loss during roasting. Anything for a buck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some growers use use black tea. It kils algea but doesn't harm your cp.
    dewy
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive used coffee grounds in hydranga plants in the past , such a hardy plant here in the pacific northwest ~ i dont know if i'd chance coffee grounds in just any cp ~ maybe a little research is needed ~ nothings worse than an overcaffeinated flytrap ~ {grouchy and snappy ~ grrrrrrrrr} `

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Black tea can be used to help colour up some Sarracenia. And I believe I remember coffee having come up a few times in the past, I'm off to bed now so I wont search, but people should give the search function here on the forums a try and see if anything comes up. If nothing else, I know that people have chewed on the idea before.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I searched plenty and didn't come up with the results I was hoping to find. I've decided to bypass the spent grounds altogether b/c most of the acid is removed during the brewing process and put into your cup. I might just steep some fresh grounds in some water for a day or two and then use that to water with. I'm also going to put some of the chaff on the soil surface and work it in a little. I don't think i'll be risking any plants by doing this. Also, the caffiene is a repellent for slugs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coffe grounds make great compost! But it must be composted prior to use for best results. I wouldn't use it on CPs since it would be like adding fertilizer. If you decide to experiment please keep us all posted.

Glenn