What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone Clog Their Sink with Medium?

Hi Folks,

Been struggling with a slow draining sink for the last week or so. Looks like the odd pot I've washed out over time has caught up with me. Tried Liquid Plumr (regular strength), a plunger and removing the trap.

Before I bust out the snake and its inherent contortions, has anyone used a liquid clog buster that has worked on planting medium? The plunging has brought up everything from orchid bark to sand. I'm hoping there isn't much sand down there, 'cause whatever will dissolve that will eat through the pipes, too, right?

Thanks!

-N

lol alot of sand is Silicon dioxide which is a fancy name for glass, good luck dissolving it without dissolving the pipes. not sure what to tell yah, i rinse pots with the garden hose cause i know this kind of things will happen

Try yanking the P-trap and just power flushing that. That is usually the clog point in my experience.

You've done all the easy things, so use the snake. If your snake is too hard to use, several forum members keep snakes and should be courteous enough to loan you one of theirs. Their snakes would be especially effective if the clog turns out to be a rodent.

But if it's sand , wont the snake do relatively little good? I'd try Pyro's idea first.

I clog my sink all the time with medium. But it's not from my plants, it's my reptiles. I was going to tell you to do what Pyro suggested. That almost always works. If it doesn't try puttin the snake it from there. You could use my king snake, I think she can bite right through glass.

I clogged my sink with a medium once. Now all my psychics go through the wood chipper instead.
~Joe

I clog my sink all the time with vegetables. Now I am trying to figure out what to do with the wheelchairs.

They have a Pressure Release thing now i guess, Try Doing that with Cleaner. If not go with pyros idea.

cheers

LOL You guys are killin' me!

I'm gonna have to switch from medium to small from now on...

May have to snake it first if the psychic is stuck in grease in the pipe, then power flush. Joe and Brendan, if this was a vaudville stage, you two would be up to your arses in rotten vegies
smile_n_32.gif

All sink aside, a better approach to rinsing media is to buy a plastic spaghetti collander and rinse peat, orchid bark, LFS, etc... in it, outside. For sand, I use a bucket and swish it around and drain - and repeat until clean.

Back