Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The immigration issue -- my $0.02

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a doctor I have treated amny illegal Mexicans. I have no problem with this. But, if I committed a crime I would not be given the chance to gain acceptance. I would be labeld a felon and lose my right to vote, own a firearm etc... I can't accept giving preferrential treatment to those who break existing laws. It just doesn't seem right. And, giving gifts to those to show up to work, as mentioned here earlier, is a slap in the face of American workers. I had a petient at a car manufacturing plnat tell methat they were forced to trained illegals and then were laid off because the company could pay the illegals less. This just isn't right. There are lots of opinions. I do not dislike anyone based on where they are from. But, I firmly think that lall illegals should be returned to their country of origin. It is just not that difficult to gain legal access to this country. I don't want to step on anyones toes. This is just how I believe that this matter should be handled.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]That isn't strictly true. US citizenship requires (or required, see below) you to *renounce* alleigance and ties to your previous country, with the exception of countries with which you can have dual citizenship.
    You can still retain your identity, culture, and pride for your country of origin (as stated.) Half of my family now has dual citizenship with the US, and nothing has changed in that regard.

Quote[/b] ]I dunno, for an english-speaking country, you still seem to have an awful lot of difficulty spelling colour correctly.
    If it's of any consolation, I spell it "colour." I use most of the British/Queen's spellings, but I REFUSE to say "Aluminium." lol

Quote[/b] ]Anyhow, my biggest issue is the one of legality; My folks and I had to spend huge amounts of time and effort navigating the beurocratic nightmare that is the INS, and I'll have to do the same again soon to get my fiancee over here (also a UK native). I'm tremendously annoyed that others should get a free pass simply because they're adjactent and poor.
    I share similar sentiments in that the INS is a piece of crap. The one in San Francisco is an abomination, and a crying shame. I wont get in to details here. But I can sympathize with you in that is was a pain in the bum to even get greencards (we literally won the greencard lottery; but even that took a long time.)
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doc. i like the way you think. welcome to the board.

ive got a friend, who is originally from Canada.he wanted to become an American citizen. dotted all the i's crossed all the t's and during the process he got deported twice(was here on work visa) before he got it done right. becoming a US citizen even when originating from a "friendly nation" isnt always a sure thing nor an easy thing

in general though i agree with your assesment Doc.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aluminium, thats a good one, first time i heard the british version i though they came up with a new alloy or something
    cervid serial killer
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well here is my 2 cents.

I work in construction. My trade is FLOODED with illegals. To give you an idea, there are 170 people from all the various trades working in the building I am right now. Yesterday there were less than 80 on site. Personally I dont really have a problem with anyone who shows up every day, works hard and is a team player. Unfortunately, There are quite a few serious issues that arise from employing illegals. The language thing is a VERY serious issue. Its not just about being annoying when you cant talk to a guy. If a man is doing something dangerous, and doesnt understand when someone yells stop, things can get ugly in a big hurry.

Another problem from the language barrier is when they pretend to understand you instead of admitting they dont and getting someone to interpret. There is nothing more infuriating to me on the job than when I tell a man to do a task and he nods and smiles and says "Yes I understand" then an hour later I check up on him and hes doing things completely different than what I told him to do. On the job, time is money. It gets really expensive having to do the same job twice simply because the man I asked to do it lied to me. Not to mention I am the one who has to get called to the carpet by the boss when schedules are not met, materials are wasted, ect ect...

The other issue I have is, many of these people have no intention of ever becomming citizens. They come here to earn the good wages in the US, then they send all that money back to their own countries. They work here for 10 years, let us foot the bill to feed, educate, and give medical care to their children, then go home and live like kings. If we try to cut back on the freebees then all the @%&#! bleeding hearts start screaming about how thats not "fair".. I'll tell you whats not fair.. its watching over a third of my income taken away from me so that the programs that allow and encourage this behavior can be funded. Someone said something about the children shouldnt be punished for what the parents do.. Personally, I dont see how they are punished.. they shouldnt be here in the first place. If they dont like not having their children cared for then either enter through the proper channels, or GO HOME!!

Anyway, I have ranted enough... As said, there are no obvious easy solutions (although personally I wouldnt mind to see them all rounded up and deported en masse). For now I guess we just do what we have been doing all along.. deal with it as best we can.

Cheers
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instead of taking pride in their own country and making a difference there, they cross the border. Once here, they don't seem to take pride in this country either, or their own neighborhoods for that matter. And yes, they sport the flag of the country that wasn't good enough for them. We have asian communities in many of the larger cities, but they contribute to their country, even if they don't speak our language.

On the other hand our country would be a lot poorer with out people to do our unskilled labor. I'd be willing to live with that, many people wouldn't. You just have to come to terms with you position on the global wealth scale and decide for yourself wether you want to keep your spot and the social issues that come with it, or just slip down the scale a few notches.

Peter
    the cellist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]On the other hand our country would be a lot poorer with out people to do our unskilled labor.
    actually ive got a solution to that Peter, all those who chose to sit on wellfair just to collect a check could be shipped out to where ever fruit or veggies need to be picked to pay back what hey owe..................hows that sound?
    cervid serial killer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone who wants to deport all illegal immigrants and build a secure barrier between the U.S. and Mexico have an estimate of the costs involved?

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast