Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: The immigration issue -- my $0.02

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]i dont know if anyone knows but i wasnt born here in the US. im not even a citizen, just a perm. res.
    *highfive* We need to start an immigrants of TF club. I'm a first generation, too. (And no, we didn't hop the Berlin wall. )
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ May 02 2006,3:06)]the "native americans" came from Asia originally and are also immigrants.
    Yes, but they were the first humans to populate the land, and didn't displace an existing human population.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Mokele @ May 02 2006,6:30)]and us burning down Washington DC,
    heh. And we STILL owe you a butt-kicking for that.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Dr. Frank Lyons @ May 02 2006,7:30)]I had a petient at a car manufacturing plnat tell methat they were forced to trained illegals and then were laid off because the company could pay the illegals less.
    Then a competent lawyer should be able to get him a fat settlement from the company in question. Not to mention the incredibly negative publicity they would get when the laid off american workers go to the media about the story.

This patient did this, i assume?

If not, why the heck not?
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Tropics @ May 02 2006,8:13)]Does anyone who wants to deport all illegal immigrants and build a secure barrier between the U.S. and Mexico have an estimate of the costs involved?
    If we do that, we'd better build the barrier BEFORE we deport them... >;-D
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Outsiders71 @ May 03 2006,12:58)]Afterall there is no official language of the U.S. and to say that they have to learn english is just saying that you're too lazy to learn a 2nd language yourself.
    I disagree.

True, there's no official language, but i feel the onus is on the guest to learn the prevailing language of the land.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Outsiders71 @ May 03 2006,12:58)]Just my $.02. Somehow Mexico needs to be burdened for their citizens crossing the border. Right now the gov't could careless, if they were being fined left and right I'm sure they would help us create a more solid border.
    I think, if practical, that would be a good idea. I seem to recall hearing that Mexico was, in fact, ENCOURAGING its citizens to cross illegally.

It is in its own interest to do so... as their people work here, and send the money back home, it only enriches the Mexican economy.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Instead of saying that they should learn and be able to speak clear english, we should be looking at the employers and saying: You shouldn't hire people who can't speak english.
    How is that in any way different from saying "you should learn english"? All you're saying is "you should learn english or nobody will hire you". Regardless of whether the impetus is out of desire to fit in or need of a job, both situations present pressure on the individual to learn english (which is as it should be).

So, how does this in any way support your prior claim that "to say that they have to learn english is just saying that you're too lazy to learn a 2nd language yourself."?

Quote[/b] ]Yes, but they were the first humans to populate the land, and didn't displace an existing human population.
    Nope, just wiped out a huge portion of the ecosystem.

Quote[/b] ]True, there's no official language, but i feel the onus is on the guest to learn the prevailing language of the land.
    Beyond simple courtesy, there's financial incentive; if you know english well, you possible job market is vastly increased.

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast