User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
Results 49 to 56 of 141

Thread: The immigration issue -- my $0.02

  1. #49

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Long Beach California
    Posts
    1,494
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=[b]Quote[/b] (SarraceniaScott @ May 04 2006,1:32)]
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsiders71,May 03 2006,12:58
    It is in its own interest to do so... as their people work here, and send the money back home, it only enriches the Mexican economy.
    it will NEVER be as rich as here in the US no matter how many immigrants cross.
    \"Nepenthes, the Devil's Cup\" - Santos
    Updated 5/27/06 Grow/Want List
    Updated 4/4/06 My Nepenthes Photo Album
    Feel free to call me @: (562)528-6223 - seriously!

  2. #50
    rattler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    missing, presumed dead
    Posts
    8,554
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (SarraceniaScott @ May 03 2006,2:03)]
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ May 02 2006,3:06)]the "native americans" came from Asia originally and are also immigrants.
    Yes, but they were the first humans to populate the land, and didn't displace an existing human population.
    your point, they moved cause they were being displaced they just happened to find a chunck of fresh real estate before every one else just like anywhere else in the world.

    how many times were the ppl of Britain displaced? i know my ansestors made a habit of ransacking them and putting them on the run every so often.......put the Romans on the run too
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

  3. #51
    Nepenthes Specialist nepenthes gracilis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Alexandria Bay, NY Z-5a
    Posts
    6,341
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]If we see a huge hypothetical surge of immigration from Quebec, should we all be forced to learn French too?
    THat would be common sense if you ask me. I know French, do I use it no, but it sure is handy being less that 5 miles away from the Canadian border.

    The only reason one should learn a second language is to understand theirs better.

    JB orchid guy is a saint.

  4. #52

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    427
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But if you take that to the logical conclusion, everyone should be fluent in English, Spanish, French, Chinese (at least Mandarin and Cantonese), Gaelic, German, Norwegian, Korean, Vietnamese, Thai, Hindi, Italian, and Dutch, since speakers of all of those have come over here in decent numbers. And many more. It gets ridiculous, and any cutoff mark for what to learn is entirely abritrary. You can't learn all languages.

    To me, it makes much, much more sense to simply speak the local predominant language. When in Rome, do as the romans. That means when in a foreign country, have the decency to bring a phrasebook at the very least. And when moving, learn the language. If I were moving to Borneo (I wish), I'd learn the local language, not expect everyone to learn mine.

    Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

  5. #53

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    north carolina
    Posts
    805
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Mokele @ May 03 2006,10:29)]But if you take that to the logical conclusion, everyone should be fluent in English, Spanish, French, Chinese (at least Mandarin and Cantonese), Gaelic, German, Norwegian, Korean, Vietnamese, Thai, Hindi, Italian, and Dutch, since speakers of all of those have come over here in decent numbers. And many more. It gets ridiculous, and any cutoff mark for what to learn is entirely abritrary. You can't learn all languages.

    To me, it makes much, much more sense to simply speak the local predominant language. When in Rome, do as the romans. That means when in a foreign country, have the decency to bring a phrasebook at the very least. And when moving, learn the language. If I were moving to Borneo (I wish), I'd learn the local language, not expect everyone to learn mine.

    Mokele
    I agree completely. Immigrants should speak the main language of the country they are in.
    dewy
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

  6. #54
    Outsiders71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,005
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They don't have to though when employers hire them regardless.
    James 1:17

    "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

  7. #55

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Evanston, IL
    Posts
    836
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the whole problem of illegal immigration could be solved if immigration laws were enforced, i.e., it is ILLEGAL to hire illegal immigrants. If businesses were heavily fined for hiring them, they wouldn't hire them. But our wonderful business community LOVES illegal aliens because they don't have to pay them minimum wage or benefits.

    If companies couldn't hire illegal immigrants....there'd be no reason for them to come here because they couldn't get jobs.

    The idea that 'they take the jobs americans don't want' doesn't wash. The idea that the US economy couldn't function without illegal immigrants is a load.
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

  8. #56
    Outsiders71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,005
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Ding! Ding!
    James 1:17

    "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •