Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The immigration issue -- my $0.02

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know, someone said earlier that it would cost too much to deport them. Don't know about anyone else, but I thought the recent rallies of illegals would have solved that problem. Here they are, all in one spot. Send in the paddy waggons. Buh-bye.

My inlaws emigrated from Italy in their 20's - one with a 2nd grade and the other with an 8th grade education. They learned English well enough to function here - it's broken, but they can communicate. They can also understand English just fine, even if it comes out choppy. That's all we ask.

And go through the proper channels, or go home. Don't give me the "it's too hard to get in" routine. Ever think we might allow more LEGALS in if there weren't so darn many illegals?
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good friend of mine is an immigrant from Mexico, but he is a legal immigrant. The thing that bothers me are illegal immigrants, there are means to get in this country and become a citizen legally, but they choose not to follow them. Then the government wants to pass a law that will make illegal immigrants that are here legal... That is rewarding someone for breaking the law, hence the word ILLEGAL. What next, badges of honor for murderers? (Sorry the political system irritates me sometimes.)

As for the language issue. If I were to travel to Japan, I would do my best to at least learn the basics of the Japanese language. It's just a common sense issue, and shows respect for their culture. It wouldn't take my culture away, or lessen it. So please at least put in the effort to try to learn our national language if you come here. I'm not saying you have to poet laurate, or even half decent, just make the effort.

I won't get into the business side of it, because I'd be n my soap box all day about the problems with businesses in the US.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=[b]Quote[/b] (fc3srx713b @ May 03 2006,5:32)]
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (SarraceniaScott @ May 04 2006,1:32)]
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsiders71,May 03 2006,12:58
    It is in its own interest to do so... as their people work here, and send the money back home, it only enriches the Mexican economy.
    it will NEVER be as rich as here in the US no matter how many immigrants cross.
    True, the first thing Mexico needs to do is wipe out its culture of corruption.

Not to say there's no corruption here (*ahem* Enron), but it is generally vigorously prosecuted when it is discovered here, and is at a level low enough that it doesn't seriously stunt the economy. In Mexico, it's a kleptocracy. They will never make their economic pie higher (heh heh... thanks, Bush, for that phrase) unless they can weed out the corruption.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ May 03 2006,7:50)]
    Quote[/b] (SarraceniaScott @ May 03 2006,2:03)]
    Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ May 02 2006,3:06)]the "native americans" came from Asia originally and are also immigrants.
    Yes, but they were the first humans to populate the land, and didn't displace an existing human population.
    your point, they moved cause they were being displaced they just happened to find a chunck of fresh real estate before every one else just like anywhere else in the world.
    20,000 years ago, they were not likely being displaced by another human population. They were migrant tribes, following game.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ May 03 2006,7:50)]how many times were the ppl of Britain displaced? i know my ansestors made a habit of ransacking them and putting them on the run every so often.......put the Romans on the run too
    You Vandal!
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, after reading the replies, I have a further $0.02:

* I agree the US economy could function just fine without illegals. I also agree that heavily penalizing employers who knowingly hire illegals is a good idea. I may be a bit of a hypocrite for saying that, though, as I've never asked my gardener to produce evidence of citizenship or legal residence status.

* I am concerned that attempting to eliminate benefits for illegals will also hurt our own poorer citizens. However, I am opposed to governmental assistance that is a mere handout. I believe any assistance (other than emergency relief) should consist of providing the means to help oneself. To take advantage of the tax dollars, you'd actually have to get off your butt and do something for yourself.

* Attempting to deny education to immigrants would probably only create a more sophisticated black market in forged papers. However, if there were evidence that denying education to them would cause them at least to leave the kids back at home, in the care of other family members, then I'd be in favor of it.

* More border enforcement would certainly drop the number of people crossing, but i am unsure how expensive it would be to do so to a point where the illegal crossing became manageable.

* Perhaps we could try running a public education campaign on Mexican TV where we explain how legally to become a US resident? However, as hard as it is for, e.g., an educated Canadian to get legal permission to work here, I imagine it would be much tougher for a poorly educated Mexican (or anybody else, for that matter) to be allowed to immigrate legally.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    migrating tribes displace other migrating tribes in the competition for food. this is how the whole world was populated. i think its idiotic to say the Native Americans have a divine claim to this country. more and more evidance is popping up that they were not the only group of ppl to have come to the new world well before Columbus. most archeologists are starting to believe there were actually several major migrations of even just the "native americans" so which tribes than have first dibs? this is a part of the natural order of things and has happened millions of times with millions of species and is still happening now with the illegals crossing th border. its the same thing.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]You Vandal!
    hey i said twors the begining of this thread im proud of my heritage
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast