User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 9 to 16 of 19

Thread: Interview with Shirley Phelps

  1. #9
    ChronoKiento's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Pennsylvania z6
    Posts
    1,580
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had originally typed out a long post about my thoughts on the war and stuff, but I don't want to turn this topic into a huge war debate. They're pointless, endless, and people get hurt.

    So I'll just post this:

    The lady in the video is a psycho and I really doubt her sanity. She really creeps me out, she was smiling THE WHOLE TIME. She reminds me of a cult leader.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

  2. #10
    nepenthes_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Spring Feild Ohio
    Posts
    3,116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats definetaly Not A Christain Veiw. Their are many "Christains "who twist things around and say that they are Right, Take Pentecostal churches for example. Tounges and Other gifts like that have come and gone end of story, they just use verses and say that that is what is intended. I wont get into it but Tounges (one of the big arguments against these churches)has come and gone.

    Any ways, I dont know where shes getting these little ideas from but it would be nice to get some Verses from where shes getting this stuff from other wise its quite amusing what some Hipo-christains can come up with.

    Imperialism is still in gear in the US Mind. Thats why we are in Iraq fighting for their government improvment so we can get a little taste of what they have in oil. Weather you see it or not, Ill be glad when Bushes Term is over.

    Christianity is for every one, not just the "Nuts". Its just something that some one is passionet about. Take Us CP growers, we are for the most part very passionet about our plants to where it seems a bit crazy doesnt it?

    I was sick to my stomach and couldnt understand any thing they were saying hafl the time... . That is a big family by the way.. Did any one see her Phone Numbers and Addresses posted all over the web?

    Cheers

  3. #11
    SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Greenswamp, NC
    Posts
    13,747
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard her before. Howard Stern has her on his show all the time and makes fun of her.

    I support her right to express how she feels, no matter how crazy it is. But I can't accept the fact that she is doing this at a funeral. Leave the families alone. That is not the time to express your views.

  4. #12

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    361
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (0zzy @ May 05 2006,6:51)]I heard her before. Howard Stern has her on his show all the time and makes fun of her.

    I support her right to express how she feels, no matter how crazy it is. But I can't accept the fact that she is doing this at a funeral. Leave the families alone. That is not the time to express your views.
    well said, ozzy. (short and to the point, too.) i agree.

  5. #13
    War. War never changes. Est's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Champaign, IL
    Posts
    3,935
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I heard of these incidents before.

    The point isn't why a person died, the point is that someone DIED, don't eff with their family. This lady obviously doesn't know what hell is, otherwise she'd know she's playing the role of the devil.

    Sounds like a personality that'd be on the Phil Hendrie show! lol
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

  6. #14

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    427
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]clearly they're trying really hard to make this woman out to be the most unreasonable, awful person imaginable.
    They don't need to, she does that herself just fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]My guess is that this was a good opportunity to try and squash an embarassing anti-war press event without obviously violating the first amendment
    Illogical; if it was about quashing anti-war protests, why would they make the law specific to only funerals and memorials?

    The law is about enforcing some darn courtesy since these wastes of skin don't have any.

    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ] but so far as the war goes, I think she might be on to something... Maybe if we thought more about what this war is costing us (our families, civility, resources, and respect among the other nations of the world) and less about how glorious it is to dominate other countries we'd be in better shape.
    Did you even listen to her? She's not talking about the cost of war, she's claiming that every bad things that's happened is divine judgement because we don't make homosexuality a felony.

    Look into the Westboro Baptist Church. There's no subtle commentary, no fine points, none of that. They're raving extremists, pure and simple. Seriously, can you expect well-reasoned points from a church who's URL is "www.godhatesfags.com"?

    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]And I think it's worth noting that the funeral that was protested had over 1000 guests, which seems suspect to me. 1000 mourners for a single person? You can be sure that this was not just an affair of their close friends and family. I think that, even if it was mean-spirited, this was probably the most justifiable scenario for this type of protest. Lots of people, most of them probably military types, all in a more receptive state than usual after the loss of an acquaintance. These are people that need to hear that there are Americans who want the war to end. Not only that, but a lot of the ceremony behind military funerals seem to glorify war and blind obedience and justify the (often empty) sacrifices that soldiers are forced to make. As ugly as their messages were, I think the protesters were a good counterpoint to the propoganda that the military perpetuates through it's pomp and ceremony. It's great to say, 'Support our troops,' but when we do so we need to think about soldiers as individual human beings and not as faceless automatons put on this Earth solely for the service of our military.
    Whether some of those people are there for the right reason or not, what antiquated military ceremonies are going on, and how receptive some people might be is all irrelevant. None of those, *none* can make it acceptable to yell and hold signs informing the grieving family who lost someone a tragic way that their son/daughter/whatever *deserved* this and is going to hell?

    There are plenty of appropriate venues for anti-war protests; the funerals of soldiers is not one of them. If you can't make you point in a dignified manner, you don't have a point worth making; if you need to milk emotion rather than logic, your cause is worthless. This goes for all sides.


    --------------------------------------


    Personally, I'm surprised in the least. I've known about this specific church for a long, long time due to their stance as virulent homophobes. They've been pulling this exact same poop at the funerals of gay individuals for *decades*, and the government has done squat.

    In a way, I'm glad they're doing this; now the rest of the world gets to see what it's like. I think every one of them is a waste of otherwise useful protien, and frankly would kill them all with less thought or feeling than I give to what to have to lunch, but I'm glad that other groups are getting to know what it feels like to be hated. Maybe then the government will take a little pity on those it's made into second-class citizens to appease the christian taliban.

    Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

  7. #15
    Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Olympia, Washington
    Posts
    4,064
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Mokele @ May 05 2006,5:22)]Did you even listen to her? She's not talking about the cost of war, she's claiming that every bad things that's happened is divine judgement because we don't make homosexuality a felony.
    Well, I guess I should clarify. By and large I do agree with everyone who's posted thus far.
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Look into the Westboro Baptist Church. There's no subtle commentary, no fine points, none of that. They're raving extremists, pure and simple. Seriously, can you expect well-reasoned points from a church who's URL is "www.godhatesfags.com"?
    I wasn't aware this was THAT church, although I knew the name Phelps rang a bell. In that case I should recind my comment on how they brought up the law, as Westboro definitely has a history of this and there was probably long-standing reason for such a policy.
    I would agree with you Mokele, that she doesn't need FOX newscasters harping on her to make her look crazy, but I think it's interesting to see FOX News - which otherwise seems to be in the pocket of religious conservative interests - making a neo-Christian extremist into a figurehead for the anti-war agenda. The whole clip gave me the heebie jeebies because she's so far out there that it almost made me receptive to what Hannity and Colmes had to say.
    I'm not a Christian and I have severe doubts about the scripture and prophecy she was going on about, but despite her delusions I think she sees one thing clearly - when it comes to war, America continues to feed the fire. I certainly don't think that the sentiments of the Westboro church would do any better at keeping the peace, but it's really, REALLY scary that it takes a total wack job to get that message on television. And what's worse is that media events like this manage to exploit a few nuts on the fringe to diminish a far more important point. I wouldn't say that any of these should have died, but at the same time it's to be expected; people die in wars. If you don't want somebody to die, it's prudent not to send them into mortal combat. It's sad but true.
    I think it's awful that these people impose their own religious doctrine on mourning families and tarnish the memory of these soldiers by saying that they're going to hell. However, I think that there would be far less people dead or mourning if these families had taken it to heart that people on our side would be dying. Westboro's protest is malicious and comes far too late, but if we can't see what truth there is in their message simply because we don't agree with their doctrine, how much better than them are we?
    Mokele, I read the rest of your post and I want to reply to it, but I don't think it's necessary. If this were a one-time thing I might think different of it, but Westboro's tactics are truly low and hypocritical and I wholeheartedly agree with you in that matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Maybe then the government will take a little pity on those it's made into second-class citizens to appease the christian taliban.
    I can see your point here but I wonder what we can really do about this kind of thing... I think that hate mongering is a terrible thing on a personal level, but at the same time I fear that efforts to undermine these kinds of acts will ultimately wear away at our personal freedoms as well. I wouldn't make a law against Westboro's protests, but I would gladly go to jail for beating the tar out of some of them. :)
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

  8. #16
    Whats it to ya? Finch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    3,472
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those people protesting at that funeral are not right in the head. I think that should be considerd less as a protest and more as harrasment. These... people... have the right to beleive in anything they want, and to speak it but that just crosses the line!
    that makes no logic

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •