Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interview with Shirley Phelps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down

Click Here

I was just shocked when I watched this, I had to post it.

My jaw actually dropped. D:
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, just wow

Being a Catholic, I can't believe there are people like that woman who claim to be Christian and use religion to support such horrible, hateful and evil ideas. Then again the KKK is a "Christian" group and the terrorists responsible for the 9/11 attacks are "Muslim". I guess there will always be nuts like that who bring a bad name to their particular religions and aren't representative of the majority.

By the way, my jaw is still sitting on the floor. Bleh.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woah. Nuts. I think there is a measure of schizophrenia here.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing more dangerous than a fool with a cause.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i watched this with the hubby a while ago. it literally made my stomach turn- but unfortunately people like my husband get shot at and stuff so even morons can express their veiws, no matter how bizzare or illogical.

religious people in general are nuts, that's just my opinion. matter of fact, there has never been anything that people have been more passionate about in all the history of humandkind that they're willing to kill/be killed than some sort of religion. that's my super-consise $.02 on religion. i have nothing against religious people, it's just not for me.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if only to play devil's advocate, I think this is kind of funny. Not the funeral part - which is pretty cruel - but the fact that FOX News has not only found plenty of crackpots to justify the war, they've also managed to dig up this poor woman to demonize anti-war protesters. There's an incredible amount of subtext in this clip; clearly they're trying really hard to make this woman out to be the most unreasonable, awful person imaginable. I love the part where one of the host makes some jab about, "I'm a Christian so..." Hello? Bias much? I should've expected no less from FOX News.
    I like how they quickly gloss over the part where laws were railroaded into place to try to stop this. Do you think it was because it was a funeral protest? No, I don't think they were protesting putting some guy in the ground. My guess is that this was a good opportunity to try and squash an embarassing anti-war press event without obviously violating the first amendment.
    I certainly don't agree with this woman's stance in general, but so far as the war goes, I think she might be on to something... Maybe if we thought more about what this war is costing us (our families, civility, resources, and respect among the other nations of the world) and less about how glorious it is to dominate other countries we'd be in better shape. The way I see it, the military coerces young men and women into indentured servitude with promises of adventure, glory and easy money (all the while glossing over the fact that they'll be risking their lives for the term of their contract) and then sends them off to die with inadequate equipment, training and leadership. Not only that, but to a war that was started on false pretenses by a President who may not have even taken his term legally. Why shouldn't a devout Christian or anyone of modest moral standing protest this practice? There are so many things wrong with this picture, it boggles my mind. The only way they could get more immoral is if there were a part of the military that killed puppies to launder drug money.
    And I think it's worth noting that the funeral that was protested had over 1000 guests, which seems suspect to me. 1000 mourners for a single person? You can be sure that this was not just an affair of their close friends and family. I think that, even if it was mean-spirited, this was probably the most justifiable scenario for this type of protest. Lots of people, most of them probably military types, all in a more receptive state than usual after the loss of an acquaintance. These are people that need to hear that there are Americans who want the war to end. Not only that, but a lot of the ceremony behind military funerals seem to glorify war and blind obedience and justify the (often empty) sacrifices that soldiers are forced to make. As ugly as their messages were, I think the protesters were a good counterpoint to the propoganda that the military perpetuates through it's pomp and ceremony. It's great to say, 'Support our troops,' but when we do so we need to think about soldiers as individual human beings and not as faceless automatons put on this Earth solely for the service of our military.
    Of all the wars I can think of, none were so hollow as this one, and I think it's a shame that the dead soldiers are made into martyrs for Bush's megalomanical pro-war agenda. If some crazy, racist, homophobic preacher lady wants to make a stink about it, I think she should be commended - she's finally using her time and resources for something that's socially constructive, even if she's doing it in a spiteful way. But more than that, I think that the sane portion of America should be extremely concerned. If even the crackpots are freaking out about the war, isn't it time that we changed things?
    As a final note, I'd like to say that my father, cousin and several of my close friends are in the military and have been run ragged by this awful war, both deployed and at home. I've lost a couple of them, too. I couldn't possibly be any less pro-war, and it's precisely because I have loved ones out there who tell me what's actually happening out in the field. They were totally suckered; when I think about it it makes me feel low just to call myself an American and know that my country supports such reprehensible practices. Fifty years ago the military may have been protecting the country, but no one is coming after America nowadays. "The terrorists" aren't going to infiltrate Congress and burn the Constitution. The only freedom that we'll preserve with this war is our freedom to cheap, subsidised oil, and nothing makes me angrier.
    Anyways, so ends my obligitory war rant.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this Shirley Phelps Rev. Fred Phelps' daughter? Ah, good old Nazi-bashing days are all I remember in associaton with that crazy family.
    Did you know the old Rev was fond of Al Gore - that is, until they clashed on the grounds of homosexuality. Actually, I'm surprised some people weren't even aware that these stains of humanity (Phelps family) are very active in the US community.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe/seedjar--> Thank you for a very interesting and well expressed commentary. Makes one think and reconsider these issues--
    Be happy in the travel--there is no destination

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast