Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Natives vs Exotics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If that's the attitude, why not just pave over the planet, kill any species we want, and not care?

Like it or not, we are dependent upon the ecosystem, and if it starts to fail, we can wind up in some serious trouble. Guam's tourist industry is dead, and the economy is in free-fall. Florida's gonna have trouble when the pythons and iguanas become more troublesome and numerous. Lampreys have ruined the Great Lakes fisheries, putting hundreds or thousands of people out of work, cutting off a long-running industry, and losing millions of dollars from the economy. Invasive insects can decimate crops.

Mass extinctions are *not* fun; if we cause one, we'll suffer for it.

And remember, the species vanishing can be vital parts of nature; producers, pollinators, seed-dsipersers, parasites, etc. Not to mention being useful to us; medical cures are being discovered regularly from animals and plants. How much would it suck to hear the announcement that we found the cure to cancer, except we just killed off the species that provided it?

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]ypu ever road hunted for snakes? i can do 15 in an hour on a really good night
    On a good night, in a car. This was on foot on a random night, and we got a pretty light yeild; often they'll get 50 in two hours with just a few parties.

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]whats to say man is not just going to be the cause of the most recent instead of an asteroid or other natural disaster
    Whats to say those natural disastes wnt happen during the disaster man is causing and making a double-whammy?
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]On a good night, in a car. This was on foot on a random night, and we got a pretty light yeild; often they'll get 50 in two hours with just a few parties.
    Spotlight for the reflective eyes and you'll see alot more.

Did you notice an unusual abundance of spiders on guam? I hear with the lack of pradators around they are overabundant now
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im not saying its right, not saying we wont pay for it if it happens. i just cant see any way around it being inevitable as long as we are around like we currently are.

as far as the prairies around here there isnt a huge problem, still lots of native plants, the none native tall grasses anf forbes arent choking out our low grow cacti(and i mean LOW growin)

BTW as far as "the cure for cancer" it doesnt exist, cancer is not just "cancer" its abnormal cells, and different types can be way to different for the same drug to work on all. it should be "cures for cancers" if you want to get technical.

Homo sapiens are a greedy distructive species. we are a plauge. you think the US industrial revolution caused lots of damage? guess what? China is wanting to be the next USA.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Whats to say those natural disastes wnt happen during the disaster man is causing and making a double-whammy?
    than things will start all over again, if its a double whammy, we more than likely wont be around to see what happens
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that doesnt mean we shouldnt care
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]as far as the prairies around here there isnt a huge problem, still lots of native plants, the none native tall grasses anf forbes arent choking out our low grow cacti(and i mean LOW growin)
    Smooth brome is more of a tall and midgrass prarie problem, not so much as a plant that shades its compeditors out but one th apoisons tham and takes over as the compeditors are weakened, reating a monoculture (sometimes, big established switchgrass clumps seem to be able to lolf their own)
    that makes no logic

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast