Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: gator attacks

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alligators have a natural fear of humans. Under natural conditions they will not attack a human, they will always run the other way, unless they are defending a nest. Crocodiles are the ones that sees us as prey.

I don't know all the facts in this case, but from what I read I can see clear reasons for this attack. First, one of the the gators had tennis balls and a football. I would bet that they were thrown at the gators by kids. I would also bet that with people living this close to them they have been fed by the locals and tourists. So now the gators associates humans with food. Once this connection is made within their brains, it's only a matter of time before there is an attack.
    There is also a possibility that it was not a gator but an American crocodile. They are native to south Florida, but very rare.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    actually the american croc really doesnt care for ppl and doesnt do well in areas with alot of ppl. gators will take ppl, like it was said its rare but not unheard of. gotta remember that the gator population is on the rebound and is doing quite well. so there are alot more gators out there now than 25 years ago
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, someone/something's got to reclaim the Earth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to our local news:
    1) The woman jogger was seen earlier by passerbys dangling her feet in the canal.
    2) The woman who was killed near Ocala was swimming in shallow water near the shore of the lake where there was much vegetation and many alligators.
    3) The woman who was "killed" near St. Petersburg was had been in the water 3 or 4 days before she was found and could have been scavenged by gators.

There are currently about 2 million alligators in Florida and they estimate the population of crocodiles is between 3 and 5 hundred.

I go hiking frequently and am by the water a lot and am proud to say that I have never been eaten by a gator, if people would use a bit of common sense these things would happen much less frequently. By the way, the local news is also trotting out the looneys that are demanding that all the alligators in the local lakes be killed.
    And for those of you who might have missed it, about 3 weeks ago the Grand cypress Golf resort in orland had 2 red shouldered hawks shot by the federal fish and wildlife people who also destroyed the nest and eggs - because they were swooping down and scaring the golfers....welcome to Florida.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I would also bet that with people living this close to them they have been fed by the locals and tourists. So now the gators associates humans with food. Once this connection is made within their brains, it's only a matter of time before there is an attack.
    Hmm, time to stop feeding the birds then. I don't want them turning on me...
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]And for those of you who might have missed it, about 3 weeks ago the Grand cypress Golf resort in orland had 2 red shouldered hawks shot by the federal fish and wildlife people who also destroyed the nest and eggs - because they were swooping down and scaring the golfers....welcome to Florida.
    I dunno, I don't think a pair of birds and their nest can quite compare to "OMG! we found a 6 flies of a species that might damage the citrus crops! Quick, spray all of central Florida with a toxic insecticide that can peel the paint off cars every night for 3 months!"

Because we all know that vast quantities of insecticide won't have *any* negative environmental effects at all....

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The gator that ate the girl in Lauderdale was finally captured and killed. The stomach contained the girls arms.
    Quote[/b] ]The woman jogger was seen earlier by passerbys dangling her feet in the canal.
    I highly doubt that. Climbing down that bank would be a painful experience...but not quite as painful as what really happened. If someone was on the jogging path, they could not have seen her anyway. According to local athourities, this was a hungry gator that was out hunting a meal.

Yep! Gators are tasty Tamlin. Many restaurants down here have them on the menu. Do you suppose this was a "Don't get mad...get even" sort of thing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Climbing down that bank would be a painful experience...but not quite as painful as what really happened. If someone was on the jogging path, they could not have seen her anyway.
    I'm more inclined towards a stupid human clambering down a painful incline and dangling her feet in than a large gator hunting on land, especially if the incline was as steep as you say. Such terrestrial hunting is rare in crocodilians and almost unheard of in gators.

Human stupidity is always the preferred explanation.

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast