Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: pink lady slipper being pollinated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This will be my 3rd year growing it. I hate to admit it, but my wife's grandma dug it up and gave it to me. I'm ethically opposed to such practices, but she is around 80 yrs old and a sweet lady and was just trying to do a nice gesture. I certainly didn't ask for it. I also certainly didn't expect it to live. I stuck it in a pot with some sarracenia and hoped for the best and it hasn't disappointed. Soil mix is sphagnum peat with about 20% perlite. It is slowly spreading too. Started with 1 stem the first year, 2 stems/2 blooms last year, and 2 blooms/5 stems this year. It bloomed in a greenhouse last year, so there was no chance of pollination. We'll see what happens this year, being outside. It will be interesting to see if the seeds (if you can call them that) will germinate. I'll probably scatter them around all my plants and just let nature take its course. I have read that the pinks are probably the easiest to grow of the native Cyps. anyway, at this point, it seems pretty happy where it's at. Of course, now I'm too scared to uproot the Sarracenia that are in the pot with it, despite a pressing need to divide them, as they are cramming the edges of the large pot they're in. Also, there's a wild iris that my wife's grandma dug up at the same time that's in there (you can see the leaves in the photo), and it too is spreading like wildfire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice to know yours has done well! Mine are originally from the wild as well however purchased from a nursery permitted by the state of MN to salvage rare wildflowers from road construction and urban sprawl. Wood's End Nursery if anyone would like to know.
    Here's my blooming stalk and my still growing reginae:

And here's a "medicine" that should make all plant lovers SICK:

Lady Slipper Rhizome

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sure makes me SICK!! These things are endangered and they are going to cut the stuff up for oils. Argggg.

Any who those are great guys! sarracenia I know you said you were going to let nature take its course, but I think you will have better luck sending the seeds to Troy Meyers at Meyers conservatory for flasking. You will get a flask back in return for sending the seeds. All you do is pay for shipping. Since its the only one in the area I would assume it would be self pollinated. I duno if Troy does it Cyps or not, but I do know Atlanta botanical gardens does. Many other gardens might as well.

You guys have gotten me interested enough to look for some online!
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey nice plants every one. what is the hardiest commercially availiable orchid out there? and what condidtions can it stand?
    alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blatilla (The hardy Chinese orchid) It sometimes can be found in the bulb section of many chain stores. I haven't seen it yet, but you treat it just like bulbs and grow it in dirt. I got a few bulbs fro a friend in Cali. Only have 4 or 5 coming up from what he sent, but they will devide and the flowers look like a lavander Cattleya almost. There is white and 2 other colors. Striata(sp) I think is the species. One of my bulb mags had 4 different variations in it, but they were a little high. Those would be the easiest hardy orchid I know of at the momment. Cyps seem easy, but I hear they need the propper conditions and can be boogers.
    JB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's an article about Bletillas - http://drriley.mypcr.com/bletilla/.

I'll probably put a community pot of Bletilla striata 'Alba' seedlings (spontaneous pollination with non-Albas nearby) in the NASC auction. They're from my plants, via Troy Meyers, and I potted them last October. The leaves range from 1" up to maybe 6" long.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool cool. This is the first time I have grown them. I would like to get some Albas as well. There are two other varients out there too. I will have to find my cataloge. Thanks for the Article Bruce that was excelent!
    JB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    heres one that is pretty hardy but i dont know about availability...plus its neat looking! its called Cypripedium Kentuckiense(the Kentucky Slipper Orchid).
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast