Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: pink lady slipper being pollinated

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whats the ease of growing that one Glider? I plan on looking for as many Cyps I can find, but have just always heard they can be picky. Blatilla is basicly just like growing anything else in the yard.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember, most (but not all) Cypripediums that you find for sale are poached unless the person digging it up has a permit from their state's Wildlife Dept. to be doing so. Which in Minnesota necessitates that they grow the "rescued" plants at their state inspected facilities for at least one calendar year from date of acquisition. Or they specifically state that they're artificially propagated. Especially those ones going at great prices online are "iffy". If you do not have receipts from accredited nurseries for these orchids you could have a mess of fines & trouble on your hands.

I've got a story for you from last summer. I was at my dads and we were watching one of our local news channels trying to find out what the weather would be doing the next day and there was one of those cheesy "human interest stories" about peoples gardens. One guy was showing the news reporter around and saying "Every year we go up to the boundry waters canoe area and I bring home some plants to remember our trip by" and as he's saying this the camera pans over a huge bed of blooming Showy Lady Slippers or Cypripedium reginae (our state flower). I went wild about the illegality of it and so we waited until the news reran the story an hour later and that section of the interview was cut out of the second airing. Aparently someone called the station...

Check out The Genus Cypripedium by Phillip Cribb if you want a great monograph on them but there's not much/any cultivation info. Growing Hardy Orchids by John Tullock is awesome and shoud be in your botanical library if you want to grow these plants. Get both from Timber Press. I'd check amazon first though-it's got those used books available...

I want some of the awesome Chinese Cypripedium species but I haven't been able to find a source.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried Oak hill orchids? There are some midwest nurseries that seed progete the cyps. I don't know if they do the chinese ones or not. You can get pinks easy though, and the yellows and brown ones. Sorry I don't know much about these guys yet. Atlanta botanical gardens is doing alot of seed propogation of alot of Cyps. I don't remember the species yet. Plus if you own the property that these plants are on you can legaly dig them up and move them. I was going to be getting some from a friend, off his property. Till he ran into some issues, and I haven't heard much from him lately.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well im going to Lowe's today and im first going to see if they have any CPs then im going to look at the bulbs to see if i have any luck.
    alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seed propagated is great - it generally takes 6-16 years for wild orchids to bloom and some say that invitro seed grown Cyps can bloom from 3-7 years so it's definately best to support artificial propagation.

As far as on your property (which is what many ebay sellers claim) I'm not sure that exemption applies if you were to try and market them, as that becomes "trade" in an endangered species.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123