Thread: Bears Eat Monkey in Front of Zoo Visitors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bears Eat Monkey in Front of Zoo Visitors
    May 15 5:12 PM US/Eastern

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands

Bears killed and ate a monkey in a Dutch zoo in front of horrified visitors, witnesses and the zoo said Monday. In the incident Sunday at the Beekse Bergen Safari Park, several Sloth bears chased the Barbary macaque into an electric fence, where it was stunned.

It recovered and fled onto a wooden structure, where one bear pursued and mauled it to death.

The park confirmed the killing in a statement, saying: "In an area where Sloth bears, great apes and Barbary macaques have coexisted peacefully for a long time, the harmony was temporarily disturbed during opening hours on Sunday."

"Of course the habitats here in the safari park are arranged in such a way that one animal almost never kills another, but they are and remain wild animals," it said.

Witness Marco Berelds posted a detailed report on the incident, including photos, on a Dutch Web site. He said one Sloth bear tried unsuccessfully to shake the monkey loose after it took refuge on the structure, built of crossing horizontal and vertical poles.

Ignoring attempts by keepers to distract it, the bear climbed onto a horizontal pole, and, standing stretched on two legs, "used its sharp canines to pull the macaque, which was shrieking and resisting, from its perch."

The bear then brought the animal to a concrete den, where three bears ate it.

The zoo said it "usually wasn't possible" for keepers to intervene when an animal killed another.

The park plans now to move the Barbary macaques _ which are large monkeys but often inaccurately called "Barbary Apes" _ to another part of the park, it said.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]The bear then brought the animal to a concrete den, where three bears ate it.

gotta love a bear that shares its monkey
    Quote[/b] ]Bears killed and ate a monkey in a Dutch zoo in front of horrified visitors

god forbid animals act like animals in a zoo, ppl have seen to many freaking Disney movies
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...And I have every darn right to keep both Sloth bears and barbary macaques captive in my 12 x 22 one room apartment!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a crazy story. I bet that was a sight to behold

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They should have thrown the monkey a pocket knife or something... even up the odds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (endparenthesis @ May 17 2006,10:00)]They should have thrown the monkey a pocket knife or something... even up the odds.
    That or a grenade launcher. Either would do just fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmph, I'd actually go to a zoo if that kinda stuff happened when I was there.

I was at that zoo, many years ago, it was neat to see the animals mixed together, to bad they will be seperated now.
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That very interesting, the only thing we get at our locals zoo's is monkey's throwing poop at the visitors and giraffes drinking their own or mate's urine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never been to what you would call a tip- quality zoo.

Hehe that must been a bummer becaus ethat living arrangement was innovative and may have had use in future zoos
    that makes no logic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast