What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

American equivalent of Provado

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Whenever the topic of aphid killing / pesticides come up at CPUK, the European contingent are quick to recommend an effective and safe for plants product called Provado. So I asked Aidan if there was an American equivalent of this Provado and a research on his part yielded this link:

Bayer Products

So I typed aphids in their search and came up with this as stores that sell it:

Store Locators

You will notice some familiar chains: Lowes, Osh, True Value...

Oh.  I thought this topic was about cheese. I was gonna say provolone is quite delicious.

smile_l_32.gif

biggrin.gif

cheese, lol.

Sounds like it could work... Do they have it in powderd form?

Cheers

Is it specifically the Bayer Advanced™ All-In-One Rose & Flower Care?

I really don't know. I just followed Aidan's link and then punched in aphids in their search. I think there are other appropriate products within Bayer's offerings. I've never used a pesticide before, so I'm not sure of the best or most appropriate product.

How about lady bugs instead. I have ladybugs in the yard eat my aphids. The carnivorous plants eat the lady bugs. It is a great vicious cycle.

Well... um... ladybugs being outside is difficult to control. I saw a bunch of them in our attic in April. ieven put a couple in one of my Neps. The pitcher promptly died. I don't trust ladybugs as a healthy choice for CP's.

If anyone wgo has experience with using systemic pesticides can hone down the best product from Bayer, I'd be thrilled. My quick search is based upon limited knowledge.

Is Orthene (acephate) out of favor now for aphid and scale control?

It works great on Sarracenia (I've only tried it on purpurea though) and VFTs, although Drosera are slightly shocked by it and tend to lose their dew for some days (Drosera adelae seems especially sensitive to acephate).

I spray my VFTs and Sarracenia with acephate periodically as a preventive measure, but I don't spray my Drosera with it unless it's absolutely necessary (unless I see aphids on them, in which case I regard Orthene/acephate as the lesser of two evils).

XSCD, I also use asphate... Actually I use Orthene 75 SP. But while at the do it yourself pest control I saw on the counter Asphate 75 SP. Whish is the exact same thing without the name brand! I have found the exact same as you talk about... Perfect for Sarrs and VFTS Drosera loose their dew but have always come back. I just use the lowest dose talked about on the label.
Andrew

It's nice to hear some corroboration Andrew.
smile.gif

To the best of my knowledge, "Orthene" was the name given to acephate (which is an organophosphate) when the company Ortho patented the chemical. However, when the patent ran out, they produced an "improved" version of Orthene called Isotox (which a lot of gardeners don't like).

Luckily, other companies began to produce the generic equivalent of Orthene labeled simply as acephate. The "75 SP" (75% concentration, soluble powder) is the most concentrated acephate one can buy, I think.

Acephate 75 SP

Steve, I took a look at the 75 SP link. Although I didn't see aphids speceifically, I'm sure it's covered under something. How does one go about purchasing this product? Is it only found online? Would a Home Depot or Lowes have it? Have you ever used Orthenex? I'm swimming in a sea of pesticide info and am not certain of what to use and in what strength, other than a general low strength for sundews - which is exclusively where I have found aphids.

Back