Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birch in Trouble

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey everyone,

I have a non-CP related post regarding my mother's poor birch tree. It began budding a few weeks ago and for some reason did not bud on the top half of the tree. It is only a few years old so it may not be strong enough to pull through on half power. Here's a pic of the damage:

Any suggestions or ideas as to what might be happening and how to fix it?

Thanks in advance,

Zac
    "You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public" -Scott Adams-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone used any lawn chemicals nearby? Trees are just another broadleaf weed to a bag of weed & feed (the crack cocaine of the Lawn Ranger set).
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha her neighbours two doors down spray on an almost biweekly basis to keep their grass green. Any chance of that being the cause...

Zac

p.s. still open to more suggestions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What species? What zone are you in? these are important because there are certain problems that affect these plants pat a certain zone
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guelph is 5A as far as zoning goes, not really an expert on birches so I can't really do more than guess at the species. Since there are only a few birch species I would have to go with White birch (Betula papyrifera Marsh.).

Thanks guys,

Zac

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could be a gray birch (although think it's a paper birch too) but either way Zone 5 should be fine. But how much sun does it get? I don't think paper birches like shade at all.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Full sun, if anything too much sun. It definately gets all it needs in terms of sun and water. She has two neighbours across the street who have 2 and 1 birch(es) respectively, and they're thriving.

A Very Puzzled Zac

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks to me like european white birch. Could you post a pic of one of the few remaining leaves? Aeither way, both are very succeptable to Bronze birch borer when growing in stressfull conditions. Check the trunk for borer exit holes. This borer is often fatal
    that makes no logic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast