What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Group purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
It has come to our attention that an offer to do a team buy from a CP supplier is going around in PM form. The mods have disscussed it and decided it would be a good idea to put out a warning. While we don't generally mind these types of things going on in PM (since we DO mind them in open forum), we do want to warn you to make sure you know who you are dealing with. The person we have heard of is currently BANNED from posting to our forums due to questionable activities and or actions here on the forum. This person has made MANY names to come back to the forum after constant banning and we would NOT recomend a purchase to be made with him. While it is up to you and you may do what you wish, we suggest you think it through. If you are currently in contact with someone for such a situation feel free to contact a mod to see if the person you are dealing with is the one being disscussed here. If you are stiffed on the purchase we are sorry to say there probably isn't much we can do to help you...
Well wishes,
The mods

Uhm.... You know what- I don't like this kind of sneaky behavior so i have no problem posting who it is. His current name is "lol" but as Andrew posted he has had many names over the past few years. And just keeps comming back. Always be causious with who you do deals with. While we have a generally speaking great forum here... There are some folks that come and cause trouble.

dang you guys are taking this to the head!
mad.gif
MAKES ME SICK!
smile_t_32.gif

ive dont such orders that you have talked about and nothing shady has happend, NOTHING! ived order 3x from him....

i think some mods somtimes have their heads in the clouds with the "AUTHORITY" the have. and sadly enough there are some that enjoy that. why dont we talk about that insead?

i know you and i, adnedarn, have bump heads a couple of times but you have to be neutral too sometimes, you know what i mean? i guess i feel more comfortable about doing this because i know his info, like where he lives. ive been to his place. i took advantage of his offer because it is a good deal! and it is and you would be a really something not to.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i think some mods somtimes have their heads in the clouds with the "AUTHORITY" the have. and sadly enough there are some that enjoy that. why dont we talk about that insead?

i know you and i, adnedarn, have bump heads a couple of times but you have to be neutral too sometimes, you know what i mean? i guess i feel more comfortable about doing this because i know his info, like where he lives. ive been to his place. i took advantage of his offer because it is a good deal! and it is and you would be a really something not to.

It's not a matter of being unfair; they are being neutral. The point of the statement is simply: these things don't always work out. If you get stiffed, then TF is not responsible. And the person with whom you are dealing has been banned from these forums, so watch it.
It's no more agressive than warning users about trading with people labeled as bogus traders.

I consider this a disclaimer rather than attack on the idea or person.

fc3srx713b - I don't know about the "head bumping" you refer to... If there was some then sorry 'bout that but I'd guess maybe you looked too far into whatever I said to you. This is not an attack on the individual and all the MODS can go off of is history. It's just like getting a loan, if your history is not the best... well... I think you get it. Anyway- I've talked to this guy more than you know. On the phone even durring some rough times in his life. Even durring his being banned we've exchanged PMs about my girl and even my first little boy and the loss I experienced with him. My posting this post isn't a post by me. It's a post by the mods. Everyone has the right to know what they MIGHT be getting into. As I told him in a PM just moments ago. Hopefully the group sale goes fine, and his history at these forums can start going in a positive direction.
Andrew

well i know the reason why that person was banned.... and yeah that mod went off on that person becasue of HIS opinion, not because he was neutral!

i think we all know that it isnt PFT fault for anything that happens on this forum, youd be quite wrong in the head if you did think so and should be on the forums...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (adnedarn @ May 24 2006,10:26)]fc3srx713b -  I don't know about the "head bumping" you refer to...  
remember that post i made about the links? well really wasnt bumping heads...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fc3srx713b @ May 23 2006,11:27)]i think we all know that it isnt PFT fault for anything that happens on this forum, youd be quite wrong in the head if you did think so and should be on the forums...
I wish that was true. But being that i've been a mod for this forum for quite a while now... (and a member since the fourms started) I do know the history of the forums.... And YES people do attempt to hold the forums responsible for bad trades.

And no- sorry... I still dont' remember it. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to remind me. I deal with soo many situations here... It's hard to remember any single instance.

Would fine print work for what?

Well, for legality purposes we have no responsibility... So fine print or dissclaimer really wouldn't help. I mean we have a rules post that is stickied in the General disscussions forum and it doesn't get read either. haha... But just because we LEGALLY don't have that responsibility doesn't mean someone isn't going to talk to us and try to get us to help them out... That's all i'm saying about the "we couldn't do much to help" statement.
Andrew

I participated in a group purchase coordinated by the individual whom the mods are warning PFT members about, and I was more than satisfied with the results. The group purchase provided an opportunity, without spending a lot of money, to acquire hybrids that are not available from nurseries in the U.S. Overall, the plants I received were large and healthy, and they are doing well. I was so satisfied that I am participating in the group purchase that is now being organized.

Its one thing to post an indemnity clause, its totally something else to post history of an individual based on specific incidences where anything could look like anything else!

Besides isn't this the forum where everyone speaks freely in PM-exclusively? Communism at best!

Go figure!

I think that this situation is a good example of the moderators trying to make our community here run smoothly, it really isn't fair to attack them for trying to be cautious- I imagine none of you here have had to deal with a deal gone WRONG wherein "you" (the moderators) have NO real recourse, nothing to say to the affected parties but "you should be more careful" then get a PM-box full of blame, or see a potential hobbyist leave the hobby/community out of disappointment

The way it was worded in the initial post is FINE, and the fact that there have been previous events which led to a banning means that, while not an actual defined responsibility, a person of conscience (especially if they will also be the ones "responsible" for sorting things out despite their NON responsibility to this effect as also made clear in the initial post) would have to make at least a quick mention of even potential troubles, if only to make it CLEAR that even tho they hold the "moderator power" (which some seem to think gives them giant egos and some sort of superpowers, which being a moderator elsewhere I can assure everyone is NOT the case) there is NOTHING they can do short of mediate in such situations.

Again, to anyone trying to tear the moderators here a new one- YOU aren't the ones who get told to make things right when someone gets burned, THEY are and since it's their position, they must go about it in the way they see best, which seems to be the case here

Wonder if this thing will get out of control and the Big guy will end up posting like that weird blowup a year or two ago...
biggrin.gif
(and edit that out if it is causing problems, I just remember that and found it... interesting to say the least, lets hope that's not where this is going)

i see nothing wrong with the mods post. seemed a fair assesment to me. i also was aware of the individuals history and was also aware that his last group order went off fine. most all the members that have been here over a year should be aware of what would happen if a trade went bad, however some of the newer members might not and it doesnt hurt to have it spelled out for them.

good job Mods

Bear in mind, those of you who find the post questionable, this is just like your credit score. Just because you've defaulted on a loan in the past, or gone bankrupt, or whatever, doesn't mean you will again.....HOWEVER, people who wish to do business with you have a right to know your history before committing to anything.

I really hope (I beleive, actually) that this person has mended their ways....HOWEVER, it is still our responsibility to warn people of the *potential* problems that might arrise.

ok ok ok, but im here to say that it was safe for me when i did this, so was with TROPICS. anyone else have who has done the group order?

lol is doing a group purchase? Thanks for the tip. I hope its not too late to get in.

If you are going to warn people now, will you let them post the results later? Well, I guess we already posted the results of our first group order with lol here:
1st EP order with lol
We just showed off the plants, and left out the details of lol coordinating the purchase from Exotica Plants.

Can I say that? I try not to step on any toes around here by not talking about buying plants somewhere else. I do appreciate this forum and all the work the mods do for us. I also appreciate lol and all the work he did for us in making the first two orders such a huge success.

srduggins, sure- why would we not let you talk about once it is over? As the example you pointed out... There is no problem with that.
Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back