Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Meet your meat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What needs to be defended?
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Usually it's the reverse, and they often don't know what they're talking about
    And you do?
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]What needs to be defended?
    In the context of a debate, all aspects of a position. I don't care if people want to live according to an illogical philosophy, that's their business, only when they debate it with me does it become an issue. The individual I mentioned has so far been the only vegetarian whom I've debated who has been able to sufficiently defend her position.

Quote[/b] ]And you do?
    On the biological aspects of the arguement, yes.

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]I know of only one vegetarian I've yet met who can defend her position thoroughly enough for me to respect it.
    Your notion that there is a position to be defended, it has to be defended, and that the defence of that position is rewarded by the honour of your respect is unbelievably arrogant.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Your notion that there is a position to be defended, it has to be defended, and that the defence of that position is rewarded by the honour of your respect is unbelievably arrogant.
    How is that any more arrogant than your presumption that I must accord people my respect according to *your* ideas of how I should?

I happen to place a very high value on logic and reasoning. While I do afford everyone a certain baseline level of respect/courtesy, I most respect those who can cogently and logically debate their positions (or even other people's; a good Devil's Advocate is an exceptional individual).

Now, let's hear *your* cogent defense of why I have to ignore my values and personality in order to have a system of respect that meets your approval, shall we?

Mokele

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't have to ignore your values, but there's no good reason to toss out a sentence like "I know of only one vegetarian I've yet met who can defend her position thoroughly enough for me to respect it." Cogent and logical debate can be just so much mental masturbation. And that kind does cause blindness.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You seem to picking an argument where there isn't one. I'm vegetarian, I've made the point that it is good that I have that choice, and I have pointed out that humans are designed to eat meat but I choose not to. I'm not telling you what to do, and there isn't a position for me to 'defend'.

The world doesn't care about whether you have respect for people or whether you live your life according to logic and structure your qualifications of appraisal on that system.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]You don't have to ignore your values, but there's no good reason to toss out a sentence like "I know of only one vegetarian I've yet met who can defend her position thoroughly enough for me to respect it." Cogent and logical debate can be just so much mental masturbation. And that kind does cause blindness.
    If your opinion of debate is so low, why are you participating in this thread?

Quote[/b] ]You seem to picking an argument where there isn't one.
    Funny, when I see people of differing views exchanging statments designed to support their view and convince others, I call that debate. And there's no reason why I shouldn't also weigh in with my knowledge and reasoning on the subject. Additionally, some of the statements posted were horrifically logically flawed or factually incorrect, and I feel compelled to point out these errors.

Quote[/b] ]I'm not telling you what to do, and there isn't a position for me to 'defend'.
    Try reading the thread. Specifically the bit in which you sanctimoniously proclaimed my internal psychological mechanism to be "arrogant" because they didn't match up with yours.

And any position that is stated is open to questioning. It's my view that if you cannot defend a statement, you shouldn't make that statement to begin with. Given that the thread opened with statements designed to provoke reaction and debate, the idea that concepts in this thread are open to debate seemed natural.

Quote[/b] ]The world doesn't care about whether you have respect for people or whether you live your life according to logic and structure your qualifications of appraisal on that system.
    And the world cares for your Armchair psychology? Here's a hint for the future: snap judgements about people's worldview are rarely right, especially when based on nothing more an internet posts.

Mokele

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast