Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Meet your meat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It took me an embarassing amount of time to figure this out: when one sees argument everywhere, it doesn't mean one is always surrounded by argument... it means one is argumentative.

The external reality we perceive functions nicely as a mirror for our internal character (which is very useful in figuring out what we need to fix in ourselves).

So I've had my share of threads in the past where I saw and participated in "battles" that I was really just conjuring up in my own mind. It's something I'd like to stop doing.

Just a nugget that can be taken for whatever it's worth... it's helped me in my internet debate etiquette, at least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder who will get the last word in this argument... err debate.
    There's a tunnel at the end of the light...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    unless the term "nugget" is in referance to a form of chicken it is not allowed in this thread

ive been watching numbers flip by for to long.....................anyone have a beer? thats vegitarian isnt it?
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chicken nuggets are fine, but lets leave the mountain oysters "nuggets" out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]It took me an embarassing amount of time to figure this out: when one sees argument everywhere, it doesn't mean one is always surrounded by argument... it means one is argumentative.

The external reality we perceive functions nicely as a mirror for our internal character (which is very useful in figuring out what we need to fix in ourselves).
    See above about armchair psychology; the short version is that it's inevitably wrong.

What I personally find amusing is that 4 pages back I'm being congratulated, whereas now that I've dared mention that I both enjoy debate and consider logical debate be a vital skill and indication of true intellect (a horrific idea advocated by petty rabble-rousers like Socrates, Plato, Hegel and Kant), I'm considered a troll.

Given this obvious fickleness, shall I simple wait until the tide turns, or drink my Hemlock now?

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Mokele @ May 28 2006,11:10)]shall I simple wait until the tide turns, or drink my Hemlock now?

Mokele
    Dunno. Which will give a quicker end to this thread?
    My chicken legs taste like chicken--only less meaty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Mokele @ May 28 2006,11:10)]See above about armchair psychology; the short version is that it's inevitably wrong.

What I personally find amusing is that 4 pages back I'm being congratulated, whereas now that I've dared mention that I both enjoy debate and consider logical debate be a vital skill and indication of true intellect (a horrific idea advocated by petty rabble-rousers like Socrates, Plato, Hegel and Kant), I'm considered a troll.
    I still congratulate you and agree with you on most of your points, including the ones about debate. I like to think I've demonstrated to the forum over the years (to their dismay) that I absolutely value what's logically, philosophically, epistemologically sound, so I don't think I'm your opposition here. Usually I was suggesting people were being thin-skinned about debate too.

But I've learned (and am still getting through my thick skull) that being in "battle mode" in excess, as empowering as it feels, is often a good way to get in one's own way, if self-expansion is one's ultimate goal.

I spent a lot of time focusing on just how utterly wrong the world seemed to be about so many things, getting to the point where I'd be struck with the overpowering urge to fix anyone in my path displaying fallacious thinking. Like it was some sort of duty I had to rise to. And all it served to do was alienate me from people who had gifts for me that I wasn't aware I needed to receive. Caused me to reject valuable information just because it wasn't communicated to me in my rigid lexicon.

I was so in love with that hard-won 0.00000000001% that I knew about the universe that it pulled my attention away from the massive, glorious remainder left to discover ... most of which would probably come to me in forms I never thought I'd value at first (the medium sometimes being worth more than the message).

I don't know you from Adam, and I'm well aware that this may not apply to you at all (in fact 3/4ths of it is just me going into rant mode without even having you particularly in mind). I'm pretty sure you'll even find it silly and trite, which is fine by me. I just felt the need to put it out there.

To summarize what I want to get across here: it's helpful to relax.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (rattler_mt @ May 28 2006,6:13)]unless the anyone have a beer? thats vegitarian isnt it?
    Most beers are filtered through isinglass.
    Some are vegetarian but very very few beers are vegan.
    Sturgeon's Law:
    "Nothing is always absolutely so".

http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102021

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast