Likes Likes:  0
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Meet your meat

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yahhh. guns. Not this discussion will really heat up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Mokele @ May 29 2006,11:01)]Perhaps if *you* had to worry about them burning down your lab, killing you pets, threatening your friends and family, or stealing and desecrating the dead bodies of your relatives you'd see *why* I'm angry that these psychos are being presented as the "good guys". Yes, all of those things have been done by PETA and PETA-funded organizations.
    Heh... sounds like the Christian Coalition (with the exception of killing pets but give them time).
    There's a tunnel at the end of the light...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you talking about, The christain Coalition? what did they do?

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They bomb buildings and murder people, in general.

Edit: No offense everybody, it's just a generalization similar to the PETA comment. I'm sure the organization doesn't condone the actions described but that doesn't mean fanatic members of the organization don't carry out those actions.
    There's a tunnel at the end of the light...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Don't ask me, ask the psychos who murdered the pets of the leader of the legislative counter-effort to ensure reptilian pets aren't banned in the UK. The PETA-funded terrorists on the opposing side feel that, along with their usual "pets are slaves" drek, it's somehow even more evil to keep animals that require meat to live. He kept several of his larger lizards an tortoises outside during warm weather to get some sun, and they were found brutally murdered. Considering he'd already received death threats to himself and his children over this, it doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure out who's responsible.
    I agree that's deplorable, nonsensical and carried out by some pretty brain dead individuals.

Funded by PETA, that I don't know. Unfortunately these people give well meaning peaceful protesters on animal welfare issues a bad name.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's always the issue of the extremists giving the more reasonable group a bad name, in almost any situation.

However, PETA-authorized spokepeople have advocated violence in their capacity as official representatives, and funds have been used for at least one individual (Rob Coronado) who is a convicted arsonist (burned down a major research lab) and has had numerous run-ins with the law over similar (but thankfully more minor) matters since then. Given this, I would regard PETA as on the fringe at best, and given they secretly support terrorists, that's probably giving them a bit much credit.

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PETA does advocate violence and has done more to set back animal welfare than anyone else. It's impossible to even begin to say something about how the agricultural-industrial complex treats animals without someone mentioning some absurd thing PETA supposedly did or said. The problem is that almost every single time I've fact-checked one of those things, it's turned out to be true. That's why my wife & I are ex-PETA members. PETA had its 25th anniversary last year and conditions are arguably worse in the agriculture industry, which affects many more animals than PETA's other targets. But things are better for lab animals, since researchers have many more hoops to jump through and there's much less gratuitous testing. PETA probably deserves some credit for that.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]But things are better for lab animals, since researchers have many more hoops to jump through and there's much less gratuitous testing. PETA probably deserves some credit for that.
    Not really, most of the testing regs are set down by either government agencies (FDA, USDA) or private watchdog groups who have no affiliation with PETA. This is one case where working for change on the inside is superior to standing around with signs harassing people.

Also, as I pointed out with reference to the lab I'm in and their battles with the IACUC people, more hoops isn't necessarily a good thing unless the hoops are put in place appropriately by knowledgable individuals. We'd have to jump through loads of hoops before we get to feed live prey to a snake, and if that takes too long, the animal may have died while waiting for the beurocracy. Alternatively, because we're the only snake lab on campus, we could tell them anything and they'd believe us.

The biggest impact for testing has simply been the rule requiring a statistical power analysis to determine how many animals are needed before experiments are approved. Short, simple, and effective at reducing numbers of animals.

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.