Likes Likes:  0
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Meet your meat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Unfortunately veganism seems to have become a quasi religion with its followers demanding you believe what they do or else your butt scum. Please don't preach to me the ethics of eating meat and I wont preach to you the ethics of eating the relatives of carnivorous plants.
    Yep, very generalised. They probably appear vocal because you seem to disagree. I'm sure vegans would say meaties are very vocal

Quote[/b] ]Yes, but why are you assuming vegetarianism is a positive change?
    No, I meant the social shift enabling vegetarianism to come into existence is positive. Social progress is a postive thing - women getting the vote would be one example. My personal opinion is that vegetarianism is positive, but social progress enabling choice and fairness is certainly positive.

Quote[/b] ] Additionally, any moral/ethic system is, by it's very nature, based on assumptions which cannot be tested. Some are widely agreed upon (basic human rights), while others are not, but popularity doesn't actually mean anything in terms of how likely a moral basis is to be true. Vegans have the assumption that killing is inherently wrong and that extends to animals, but that assumption is just that; an assumption
    Correct, but then everybody has different assumptions about all facets of morality. Basic human rights would be included in this.

Quote[/b] ]So just because someone has a new idea that lets them get up on a pedastal and say how much more moral they are than the rest of us doesn't mean anything.
    Now you're assuming that everybody giving their views on this topic is preaching they are more moral than the rest of us, which is not true, as Dyflam mentioned.

Quote[/b] ]Not actually; it depends upon your location and the availible foods. Some areas are blessed with a natural abundance of nutritious vegetables and fruits (which is why Mesopotamia became the birthplace of civilization), while others do not have such a diversity and *require* meat for survival (try telling an Inuit from AD 50 that he can live off native plant life alone.)
    If I lived on an island with no animals, I would *require* grass for survival. If Mr Inuit really did want to stop eating meat he could, but moving. Ludicrous yes, but my point is that anybody can do anything if they have a belief.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Now you're assuming that everybody giving their views on this topic is preaching they are more moral than the rest of us, which is not true, as Dyflam mentioned.
    Personally, it's been my experience that PETA and their ilk *are* preachy (and violent terrorists). When was the last time you saw scientists picketing PETA headquarters because of their position on animal testing, or ranchers throwing juice on people wearing non-leather clothes?

I've had this debate *countless* times, and *every* time, it's been a vegan/PETA-supporter who brought the subject up. And of all the times in those debates when someone claimed the moral high ground, it's been the PETA/vegan side calling the carnivores moral degenerates and Nazis and such.

Carnivores aren't the ones burning down research labs because of moral disagreements.

Quote[/b] ]If I lived on an island with no animals, I would *require* grass for survival.
    And, since it's not possible to do so, you would either starve, or go fishing. Ever notice how *every* island culture relies heavily on seafood? The mere practice of fish-farming is actually an innovation by the polynesian and austonesian peoples.

Quote[/b] ]If Mr Inuit really did want to stop eating meat he could, but moving. Ludicrous yes, but my point is that anybody can do anything if they have a belief.
    But could he? You say it's ludicrous, and that's for a good reason; in order to find an area with sufficiently rich plant produce that he could subsist without meat, the individual in question would have to trek thousands of mile *on foot*. And he'd still die of vitamin B12 deficiency in the end, since that's only from animal products.

The point is, in many geographic locales at many time periods, it was *not* possible to be vegan or even vegetarian without modern technology and/or herculean effort.

Quote[/b] ]No, I meant the social shift enabling vegetarianism to come into existence is positive. Social progress is a postive thing - women getting the vote would be one example. My personal opinion is that vegetarianism is positive, but social progress enabling choice and fairness is certainly positive.
    Agreed; I've got no problem with people eating what they want, so long as they leave me alone to eat what I want and do my research.

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a pure omnivore, I love meat and vegetables.

My question would be if all the vegetarian and vegans dislike meat so much, why do they make veggie food to look like meat products? There are veggie sausages, veggie bacon ,veggie pies flavoured to taste like chicken. I have even seen vegetarian steak made from Quorn. Almost all vegetarian products in supermarkets simulate meat products. Why

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]leave me alone to eat what I want and do my research.
    With pleasure.

Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]My question would be if all the vegetarian and vegans dislike meat so much, why do they make veggie food to look like meat products? There are veggie sausages, veggie bacon ,veggie pies flavoured to taste like chicken. I have even seen vegetarian steak made from Quorn. Almost all vegetarian products in supermarkets simulate meat products. Why
    Quorn is just mushroom and sausages and burgers are just shapes if you think about it. The meat flavours are flavours humans find tasty. Humans are designed to eat meat, I'm not denying that, but it's a conscious moral decision not to. Veggies don't dislike meat, they dislike the killing aspect.

Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the one vegan i know chooses not to eat meat cause he doesnt like the taste of it, never has. when my sister was younger she informed my dad she was going vegitarian, he laughed at her and informed her she would starve in his house. took all of a week before the smell of a frying steak broke her down

BTW im a member of PETA, People for the Eating of Tastey Animals

just remember their is room for all gods creatures..........right next to the mashed potatoes

hmmmmmmm cant remember any others, got to get back to printing rodeo tickets.......................
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When my daughter was ~4, she decided to be a vegetarian because my wife was (I wasn't at that time). She lasted a couple days until she asked to for a hamburger one night and we said that's meat. She thought about it (not very long) and decided she wouldn't be a vegetarian anymore. Now I'm a vegetarian (of the ovo-lacto variety), my wife eats a little fish to boost protein, and my daughter hardly eats a vegetable. And the only meat I eat - smoked gamebirds once per year - is something my daughter won't even get close to.

I know vegetarians and vegans who say they dislike the taste and texture of meat too. As for the veggie burger and so on trying so hard to be like meat, I don't think they're aimed at vegetarians and vegans. They're aimed at people who want to eliminate meat from a few meals. The best veggie burgers make no attempt to be like a hamburger and load up on vegetables or black beans or whatever. And, since food on a bun is the highest form of our culinary tradition, a lot of veggie foods are shaped for that too. But I've recently had veggie meatballs that are exactly like the fine-ground Italian meatballs available around here. We have them on pasta one night and then make meatball sandwiches the following day.

By the way, only vegetarians are expert enough to be in on this discussion and the rest of you should get lost.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]I know vegetarians and vegans who say they dislike the taste and texture of meat too.
    See, that totally baffles me. I'd rather eat meat than just about anything else, and am rather indsicrimiate, to the extent just about everyone who knows me considers me the absolutely last person they'd want to be trapped on a desert island with.

I wonder if the Soylent Green T-shirt tipped them off...

Quote[/b] ]By the way, only vegetarians are expert enough to be in on this discussion and the rest of you should get lost.
    Usually it's the reverse, and they often don't know what they're talking about. I know of only one vegetarian I've yet met who can defend her position thoroughly enough for me to respect it.

Mokele
    \"With malleus aforethought, mammals got an earful of their ancestor's jaw.\"
    --J. Burns, on the evolution of auditory ossicles.

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast