Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sphagnum moss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me live LFS has popped up in every single pot I have. No matter if it was in a high humidity environment or not. But the most grew in my old terraium that mostly had high humidity. All of it came out from the dried stuff.
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (TheDuke @ May 25 2006,3:09)]Yes it's live moss but I also have some dead/dried LFS.So your saying throw some in a bucket and put it out in the sun?
    I'd do this and put it in partial sun at first and see how it does. I grow a little sphagnum outside in cut plastic water jugs, sitting with some water, rain makes it grow faster from what I've seen.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does well for me in shallow, plastic trays (Gladware), kept swampy and at a southern window sill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i grow them in a 10 gal aquariumwith a glass lid. distilled water plus 2 -15 watt flourecent light. grows really well.

hope that helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been growing sphagnum along with Drosera cuttings in 3" shallow deli cups. I lay down some dry LFS, add enough distilled water make a mini swamp, and then seed it with live LFS trimmings and Drosera leaves. I keep these just a few inches under the flourescent light tubes. The trays have to be refilled 2-3 times per week. The sphagnum grows faster than the Drosera under these conditions. The two solutions to that problem are 1. regularly trim the sphagnum, and 2. feed the Drosera.

The sphagnum I've got in my tanks outside is growing nicely when I keep the water level close to the tops of the pots.

Hope this helps,

Peter
    the cellist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies.I have tried alittle of every method to see what works the best.Normally how long does it take to start seeing new growth?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From right away to several weeks. The Joe Mazrimas (ICPS CO- Founder) Method. Place handful of LFS in bag. Preferably plastic. Add r/o water. Throw under shaded table. Pull it out 5 or 6 weeks later, and harvest what you need. Add water. Throw bag under the shaded table. ignore again until more moss is needed months later. And so on, and so on.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What really irritates me is when the beautifully green sphagnum that you initially got turns into a brownish black mush. I always think healthy sphagnum means healthy growing habitat, so when the moss dies, I worry about my plants and wonder if the humidity is too low, sunlight too strong, or water too hard.

I have a bunch that were really nice when I first put them out in a tray under dappled sunlight. Algae came and the moss started decaying. Just recently, it's starting to grow a bit back, but not to it's former light-green glory. Maybe it just needs more time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast