What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sphagnum moss

What do I need to do to get it growing again?I just received some and I'm wondering whats the best way grow it.Thanks in advance

Duke

Is it live moss (you CAN regenerate dried moss)? Just put it in some pure water with lots of sun. That's about it.
smile.gif

Yes it's live moss but I also have some dead/dried LFS.So your saying throw some in a bucket and put it out in the sun?

the secret to growing LFS is convince it you dont want it to grow. if it thinks you want it to grow in a particular spot it wont but if yah dont want it growing somewhere its a freaking weed
smile_n_32.gif

so you can just completly submerge some in water???
alex

I keep mine in a bowl that is about half full of water mixed with peat. The peat settles after awhile. I never let the peat dry up but sometimes the live stuff gets dry. Add water it comes right back.

Does it need high humidity and full sun to grow?

Jmurphy I don't know.Everyone has different ways of growing it so it gets quite confusing.

For me live LFS has popped up in every single pot I have. No matter if it was in a high humidity environment or not. But the most grew in my old terraium that mostly had high humidity. All of it came out from the dried stuff.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheDuke @ May 25 2006,3:09)]Yes it's live moss but I also have some dead/dried LFS.So your saying throw some in a bucket and put it out in the sun?
I'd do this and put it in partial sun at first and see how it does. I grow a little sphagnum outside in cut plastic water jugs, sitting with some water, rain makes it grow faster from what I've seen.

It does well for me in shallow, plastic trays (Gladware), kept swampy and at a southern window sill.

AF001101.jpg

i grow them in a 10 gal aquariumwith a glass lid. distilled water plus 2 -15 watt flourecent light. grows really well.

hope that helps

I've been growing sphagnum along with Drosera cuttings in 3" shallow deli cups. I lay down some dry LFS, add enough distilled water make a mini swamp, and then seed it with live LFS trimmings and Drosera leaves. I keep these just a few inches under the flourescent light tubes. The trays have to be refilled 2-3 times per week. The sphagnum grows faster than the Drosera under these conditions. The two solutions to that problem are 1. regularly trim the sphagnum, and 2. feed the Drosera.

The sphagnum I've got in my tanks outside is growing nicely when I keep the water level close to the tops of the pots.

Hope this helps,

Peter

Thanks for the replies.I have tried alittle of every method to see what works the best.Normally how long does it take to start seeing new growth?

From right away to several weeks. The Joe Mazrimas (ICPS CO- Founder) Method. Place handful of LFS in bag. Preferably plastic. Add r/o water. Throw under shaded table. Pull it out 5 or 6 weeks later, and harvest what you need. Add water. Throw bag under the shaded table. ignore again until more moss is needed months later. And so on, and so on.

What really irritates me is when the beautifully green sphagnum that you initially got turns into a brownish black mush. I always think healthy sphagnum means healthy growing habitat, so when the moss dies, I worry about my plants and wonder if the humidity is too low, sunlight too strong, or water too hard.

I have a bunch that were really nice when I first put them out in a tray under dappled sunlight. Algae came and the moss started decaying. Just recently, it's starting to grow a bit back, but not to it's former light-green glory. Maybe it just needs more time.

There is some growing down the road from my house in a ditch that gets only partial sun and is mostly in the shade all day. It is very dry right now, but I have seen it green right back up when it rains. I have also found a stand of sarracenia growing in the woods behind my house and they are very tall, and suprisingly are growing in just about straight shade all day long. Go figure.

I know a place that has some of the most impressive mounds of lfs growing. The funny thing is it gets 0 direct sunlight. If you walk in to this area on a bright day, it'll be almost dark where the LFS grows.

Back