Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I found this in the woods behind my house

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was supposed to read "mind", not find" in my post above this one. I'm tired..

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're going to dig them up it will be best to wait until this winter. It will much less stressful for them and more should survive.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ May 30 2006,5:03)]There is one line in the Bible that says. "I have given you all the seed baring plants and herbs to use." Yet most of the bible thumpers (My apologies to the religious folks here) still think Marry Jane is bad. Even when their covenanted Bible says that God said all the seed baring plants and herbs were for us to use. That would mean the Sarrs were as well, but most consider them as "weeds".
    The sense in which that passage was intended was that of responsible stewardship, as opposed to what our species has a tendency to do - hedonistic abuse.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think simply clearing the area of woody overgrowth, such as felling or girdling the trees to within a 100-food radius would allow them to presist in situ
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll see what I can do. I will get opposition, even from my husband, if I try to do anything drastic. No one understands. It is not worth him losing his job over, which it could very well come to that if I start trying to get permission from the church to do anything. However, if there is anything that I can do for them, I can, for as long as I live here. There is a huge national forest everywhere around me and I know that they are aware of the plants because they have pics in the ranger station. Whether or not they care about conserving them though, I don't know. I have thought about going to them and seeing if they couldshow me some sites, but I never have done it yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They should and should at least show interest seing that is the poin of national parks. Preservation of Areas Wildlife and natural land scape.

Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (back2eight @ May 30 2006,4:09)]That sounds good. I might take on that project myself. What is ringing the trees? Does that kill them? Is all the leaf litter and twigs and things a problem? I wonder if it is choking out the plants.
    "Ringing" is basically taking a macete and cutting a ring around the tree through the bark and down to the actual wood. It does kill the tree, which is the whole point. Everything above the cut dies and the tree drops its leaves/needles. These are then not blocking the light from getting down to the ground.

As for the leaf litter, most looks like pine needles which shouldn't be a huge problem. They'll decompose and acidify the soil.

Quote[/b] (Ozzy @ May 30 2006,7:17)]If you're going to dig them up it will be best to wait until this winter. It will much less stressful for them and more should survive.
    I have transfered Sarrs at just about every time of year and never run into much shock FWIW
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

You know, reading all of this is kind of amusing. Not only did I learn a lot about this supposed "southern-small town mentality, their church, how to apply Christianity in this situation, etc" but how we as CP enthusiasts can place our own value in a habitat. "Why not just ring the trees and kill them?" Poor trees. So many years of growing just to be sacrificed for some etiolated S. alatas that probably shouldn't be there in the first place.

Seriously, maybe I'm just not getting the big picture, but I don't really get what the big deal is. If the Church doesn't know these plants exist nor care what you do with them, I'd just remove them myself. As opposed to making a whole fiasco where you drag a national park service or property owner or pastors, or making your husband look bad, etc.

Just my 2 cents. I don't advocate everyone who finds plants on their property that they dig them up if they're growing well, but in this particular instance, I don't see what the fuss is about. Good luck.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast