What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coolest thing ever!  Turtle nest!

schloaty

Staff member
I had a mommy Eastern Painted Turtle dig a nest & lay eggs in my back yard yesterday! I have pics, but for some reason the connection here at work is SSSSLLLLLLOOOOOWWWW, so I will have to try and remember to post them when I get home.

Woo hoo!

Any of you herpos out there know the average gestation period for these guys? I read it was between 72 and 76 days....So baby turtles in the middle of August.

i've been trying to get both my male and female to mate for some time now, but she just ain't reciprocating...he's old...she's young. And I think that sounds about right for average gestation...faster with warmer temps and more females too.

Just watch out when the hatchlings come out since many predators love the taste of baby turtle.

When I was a kid, I used to run across turtle nests from time to time. It was cool. That was back in the day of frog eggs, bird nests, June bugs, catepillars, mud pies and swinging on vines and tire swings.

Here we go! Woo hoo!

TURTLE.jpg

TURTLEFACE.jpg

TURTLEEGG.jpg

*pop's out another*

Did you get to count how many eggs? Did you do reasearch on how long they stay their? Ever had turttle soup?

Cheers

Very neat! Be sure no one tramples it or something! Be sure to keep us up to date.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Did you get to count how many eggs? Did you do reasearch on how long they stay their? Ever had turttle soup?

Clutch: 4 to 10 eggs
gestation 72 to 76 days

And NO to the turtle soup! Shame on you!
mad.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes_ak @ June 03 2006,1:23)]Ever had turttle soup?
It's yummy! I have found the most interesting foods here in south Louisiana. It appears that cajuns will eat just about anything - pigeon, squirrel, opossum, alligator, turtle, nutria, snake, frog, etc. If it runs, swims, of slithers it is food. It appears that the only unusual food here is insect. LOL.

smile_t_32.gif

you should cage the nest site with wire that the babies can crawl out, as turtle nests have like a (from memory) 85-90% predation rate. Even if those art the figures, it is remarkable for being phenomanaly low. So if you want to be 100% shure you will have them hatch, i say cage it for protection from predators!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]you should cage the nest site with wire that the babies can crawl out, as turtle nests have like a (from memory) 85-90% predation rate. Even if those art the figures, it is remarkable for being phenomanaly low. So if you want to be 100% shure you will have them hatch, i say cage it for protection from predators

Gonna do just that tomorrow (assuming I don't find it dug up and et tomorrow morning).

someone actualy listened to finch for once

hmmmm.....what? Could've sworn I heard someone say something...Guess not.
smile_n_32.gif

Cool eggs!

Zac

Back