Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deleting the penny?@?@?@

Metal King
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he was being sarcastic, Jason, it read like he was actually intending to come across as ridiculous to me
    Da Growlist

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich"-Spongebob Squarepants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm now taking bids on my penny jar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i kinda like the interwoven fiber idea ~ 3 parts hemp to 2 parts soybean ~ if all else fails roll a fatty and ash into your gas tank ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering how long it took the US to modernize paper money, pennies have more job security than the rest of us. But the current administration would probably agree to give up the penny if the savings could be handed over to Halliburton in a no-bid contract to train Americans to round to the nearest nickel.

When I worked in a hardware store in 1981, pennies were mostly copper and people were hoarding them because the price of copper was rising. I remember (I think correctly) that there were many more dollar bills than pennies in the cash register.

The same anti-penny talk was stirred up back then, probably by the same people who pushed for the metric system a decade earlier. But we're not a people comfortable with having to learn something new and the problem was solved by changing pennies to mostly zinc. So it's deja vu all over again.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. Never knew that happened before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I lived overseas they did something similar. I guess the cost of flying the pennies to the military base was more than the actual value of the pennies, so they stopped doing it. They did a rounding thing similar to what is probably described in the article (I guess I would know if I read it). 0.01 and 0.02 rounded down, and 0.03 and 0.04 rounded up.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So how well was it received? Was it practical or were their abuses / manipulation?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I think things are a little different on a military base. A lot more "yes sirs" is a polite way to put it.

I thought it was stupid at first, but it ceased to be important quickly. I found it fun to try and "game" the system by always having my totals round up. I'm not sure how buying more stuff to get 0.02 was me "winning," but it seemed fun at the time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast